• B-1 nonimmigrant is one seeking admission for legitimate activities of a commercial or professional nature, such as business meetings.
  • B-2 nonimmigrant is one who is seeking admission for activities relating to pleasure, namely touring, vacations, or family visits.
  • VWB or VWT. Persons from the following countries (http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/without/without_1990.html#countries) do not need a visa for entry for short-term visits.
  • TN (NAFTA)visas obtained by Canadian and Mexican citizens with appropriate documentation.
  • J-1 visas are generally for visiting scholars and professors, but can also be used for students. The J-1 Visa is a category granted from the Department of State.

B Visas

Incoming visitors on B Visas or B Visa Waiver Program should complete the following form prior to arrival, and should work closely with the sponsoring department and the Office of International Programs to determine tax treaty eligibility and payment instructions.

J Visas

The purpose of the Exchange Visitor program is to promote international educational and cultural exchange in order to develop mutual understanding between the people of the United States and other countries.

The University of Puget Sound is authorized to support the following categories on a J-1 Visa: Professor, Research Scholar, Short-Term Scholar, Specialist, and Student.

The sponsoring department and the Office of International Programs will review the qualifications of the prospective Exchange visitor to ensure that his or her English language proficiency and academic background are suitable for the intended activity. Please allow three or four months in advance of the start date to allow for document preparation and visa processing.

Individuals on J-1 status are not permitted to be tenure-track. Some J-1 scholars are subject to a two-year home residency requirement and may not be eligible for an extension of stay. J-1 Research Scholars and Professors are not permitted to remain on J visa status for more than 5 years. The Exchange Visitor must be substantially funded by sources other than the individual’s personal or family funds. Incoming Exchange Visitors should complete this form to initiate the DS-2019 for visa purposes.

TN Visas

For individuals from Canada or Mexico, the TN classification may be appropriate. TN classification is available to Canadian and Mexican citizens who seek to enter the U.S. on a temporary basis to work in a professional-level job under provisions of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). The individual would only qualify for a TN if the position in the U.S. falls under the NAFTA professional job list. The TN is employer-specific and the individual must possess the qualifications of the position. The TN Visa is a non-immigrant category not recommended for Tenure Track Faculty, and can be given in three-year increments.

TN Visitors must apply for a visa either at the border or by mail. A TN Support Letter is required as part of the visa application process. The Academic Dean’s office can use this template.

When applying for TN Status, please bring the following documentation with you to the Port of Entry:

  • Original Degree (you will receive the original back)
  • Original License (if applicable)
  • TN Support Letter
  • Valid passport
  • $50 application fee

* Canadian citizens are not required to apply for a Visa, but instead will apply for TN status at the Port of Entry, by submitting the above documents to the immigration officer. You will receive an I-94 card marked with TN status with the validity dates (up to three years) and employer name. Do not lose your I-94 card as this proves your eligibility to work in the U.S. For more information on TN status, visit this website.

* Mexican citizens are required to apply for a Visa. This can be done by requesting a change of status (if the individual currently holds another non-immigrant status in the U.S.), or by applying at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in Mexico. For more information, visit the State Department's website on TN Visas.