The Office of International Programs (OIP) is the primary contact for faculty or administrators who wish to bring an International Visitor to campus. Each year the University of Puget Sound hosts a number of international visitors. These include non-tenured teaching faculty, language assistants, paid and unpaid researchers, short-term visiting scholars, guest speakers and others. Some of these visitors require a J-1 visa to enter the United States. In some cases, very short-term visitors can enter the US in a different visa status to give a guest lecture or presentation. The following pages describe how the OIP can assist with bringing an international visitor to campus:

  • For Visiting Scholars (on J Visas)
  • Exchange (J-1) Visitors

    Visitors – The University of Puget Sound is a U.S. State Department designated sponsor of the Exchange Visitor Program. The Exchange Visitor Program promotes mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries by facilitating educational and cultural exchanges. Our designation allows us to issue documents to support J-1 visa applications for the following categories: Professor (non-tenure track only), Research Scholar, Short-Term Scholar, and Student. On this page, you can learn more about how this program works and who is eligible to participate.

  • Honorarium and Travel Reimbursement Payments to Non-US Residents

    Please refer to this page for details on who the university can pay, the documents that are required, and the tax implications for the payee.

  • Visa information
  • Payment and Tax Information
  • Resources

For Puget Sound Faculty

Disclaimer: The information contained in these pages may not be complete. Programs, policies, and procedures may change without notice. Please contact the International Programs staff for current information regarding visiting scholar opportunities and policies at the University of Puget Sound.