Faculty Research

Funds are provided for the purpose of enhancing faculty professional expertise in one’s field and to enrich the academic environment. The following information is also available in the Faculty Research Guidelines Document.


Fall proposals are due December 1, and awards will be announced by December 15.

Spring proposals are due March 1, and awards will be announced by March 21.

Apply Here


Funds are provided for the purpose of enhancing faculty professional expertise in one’s field and to enrich the academic environment.

These funds are to support research-related activities. Examples are (but are not limited to): travel; per diem for living expenses while away from the university and engaged in research; supplies and equipment; copying; interlibrary loan and library electronic document delivery services; payment, when necessary, to secure human subjects; and student assistants.

Publication costs are considered for funding when there is evidence of readiness for publication and the applicant has tried to negotiate or cover these costs in other ways. Publication costs are typically funded up to 80% of the total cost. These costs include page charges, required open access costs, image licensing fees, etc. The committee will consider funding journal publication fees if all of the following requirements are met:

  • The journal is peer-reviewed
  • The publication charge is required to publish the work in the chosen journal 
  • The applicant has tried to negotiate down the publication fees 
  • The applicant shows evidence of pursuing other funding sources to cover this cost 
  • The applicant makes a strong case in their narrative that this particular publication venue is necessary1 (e.g., for open access journals, the journal is listed in the Directory of Open Access Journals).

These funds are not intended for course development or sabbatical- related expenses. Burlington Northern funds may be sought for curriculum development support and the John Lantz Sabbatical Enhancement Award program is the appropriate source of funding for sabbatical research and travel. The exception is that recipients of pre- tenure sabbaticals (e.g., Martin Nelson, Mellon, Hall, or Trimble Pre- tenure Sabbatical Fellowships) may apply for funds from this faculty research pool to support sabbatical research and travel expenses.

Additional items not funded include completion of degree work, salary for the researcher, curriculum development unless that development is an integral part of the research problem, or payment to those book publishers that routinely require subsidies from authors as a condition of publication.

Evaluation of the proposals submitted are based on the published Evaluation Guidelines.



Research funds are intended for the use of tenure-line faculty, faculty holding ongoing clinical assistant or associate professor positions, faculty holding fulltime three-year assistant professor appointments, and full-time, continuing artists-in-residence who are actively engaged in scholarly research. Up to ten percent of the research funds may be awarded to faculty at the rank of Instructor and visiting faculty who have been in full-time service at the university for at least three years. Instructors with less than three years of service at the university and non- tenure-line, short term replacements of tenure-line faculty will not be funded.

An application from a faculty member in the last year of service to the university will not normally be considered for a grant unless the project is to be completed by the end of his or her final contract year.

Eligible faculty in the early stages of a project are especially encouraged to apply. In addition, the committee will not normally consider new proposals from faculty members who have not closed out and completed the reporting requirements for previous grants.



Application for these funds should be made to the University Enrichment Committee using the online form. The proposal should include:

  1. the completed online form;
  2. 100 word abstract;
  3. background information and specific objectives of the proposed project;
  4. methods by which project objectives are to be attained with appropriate references;
  5. an itemized budget, including brief explanations for expenses;
  6. Foreign Travel Waiver (linked below), if applicable; and
  7. For research that involves the use of human participants or animals, please be aware that appropriate approval must be obtained before beginning research. Please consult IRB and/or IACUC approval processes information on the university’s website for details.


evaluation guidelines

  1. Proposals relating to a faculty member's professional discipline are eligible for funding, and the research should be clearly related to enhancing the faculty member's professional expertise. Basic and applied research in any field and performances and exhibitions in the arts are given equal consideration where performance or exhibitions would serve the same purpose as basic research and are developed for the first time.
  2. Proposals should outline the likelihood of the project leading to scholarly publication, performance, or exhibition.
  3. Proposals should clearly indicate the timeline for completion of work within two years.
  4. The required itemized budget should be clear, appropriate, and well justified.
  5. The research plan and/or proposed process for the project should be clearly stated in the proposal.
  6. A faculty member’s past record of awards will be considered in the evaluation process



Fall proposals are due December 1, and awards will be announced by December 15. Spring proposals are due March 1, and awards will be announced by March 21.



The limit for each grant requested is $2,000.00; however, the limit may be exceeded in unusual and convincing situations. Within any grant, no more than $600.00 will be allocated for per diem expenses when the recipient must relocate to conduct the research in a different geographic area for an extended period of time. The use of a student assistant, up to 100 hours, may be requested. Students are paid an hourly rate in accordance with standard student employment policies and procedures.

Any deviation in expenditures from the approved budget must receive the approval of the University Enrichment Committee. Send such requests in care of Associate Dean of Experiential Learning and Civic Scholarship Renee Houston. Unapproved cost overruns are the responsibility of the grantee. Costs in need of careful monitoring by the grantee include expenses for equipment and interlibrary loan charges.



Faculty receiving such funds shall provide the following reports:

  1. any invoices or other documentation required by the Office of Finance to substantiate expenditures made against the grant account;
  2. a written progress report to the University Enrichment Committee by August 31 immediately following the fall or spring term in which the grant is received; and
  3. a final report or progress report to the University Enrichment Committee by August 31 of the subsequent year, containing a detailed financial accounting and a copy or description of the project's results.
    •  If the project is not completed by August 31 of the subsequent year, faculty may request a grant extension. Please submit a Request for Deadline Extension: University Research Funds form available on the Faculty Professional Development Resources webpage. 
    •  All unspent funds of two-year old accounts will be reclaimed and allocated for future requests unless a grant extension is filed and approved by the UEC.


Other details

  1. Student assistance authorized by a research grant must be processed through the director of student employment before any work is done. Secretarial support, beyond normal duties by university secretary, must be authorized by the director of human resources before any work is done.
  2. Equipment, books, slides, music, or other such non-expendable materials purchased with research funds become part of the resources of the department or the university library upon completion of the project. 

Submit Application Here

Additional Forms:

If applicable, please complete these additional forms and upload them with your application.

Foreign Travel Waiver - if your research involves travel outside of the United States

Special Travel Waiver  - if your travel includes countries on the Department of State's Travel Warning List or the Centers for Disease Control’s Travel Health Warning List

Request for Deadline Extension: University Research Funds