To report an emergency on campus, call Security Services at 253.879.3311.
To report an emergency off-campus, dial 911.
Counseling, Health, & Wellness Services are available to treat many medical and psychological concerns, but we are not staffed nor equipped to provide emergency treatment. If you, or someone around you, are experiencing a medical emergency, please call Security Services on campus or 911 off-campus and get appropriate treatment at a local emergency department. Do not come to Counseling, Health, & Wellness Services, which may delay getting the treatment required.
You can also find information about emergency contraceptive pills on our website.
For Urgent Mental Health Consultations After Hours
If you are experiencing a mental health crisis and need to talk with someone after hours, but not a life-threatening emergency, here are several options:
- Pierce County Crisis Line: 1.800.576.7764
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1.800.273.TALK (8255)
- Crisis Text Line: text “HOME” to 741-741
- Online chat
- Rebuilding Hope: Pierce County Sexual Assault Hotline: 1.800.756.7273
- Trans Lifeline
- The Trevor Project: 1.866.488.7386
- MultiCare Consulting Nurse: 253.792.6411
- The Washington State Warm Line: 1.877.500 WARM (9276). This is a peer support line for emotional support and information. Open 5 nights a week, Wednesday thru Sunday, 5-9 p.m.
- Crisis Text Line for Persons of Color: Text STEVE to 741-741
- Sexual Assault Hotline: 800-656-4673
- Eating Disorder Helpline: 800-931-2237
Local Emergency Rooms
Multicare Allenmore Hospital
1901 South Union Ave.
Multicare Tacoma General Hospital
315 Martin Luther King, Jr. Way
St. Joseph's Medical Center
1717 S. J Street
209 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
Note: You will need proof of Kaiser Permanente insurance information.
Local Urgent Care Facility
Westgate Multicare Urgent Care Center
2209 N. Pearl St, Suite 100
Note: Walk-in clinic open 9 a.m. - 9 p.m. weekdays, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. weekends and holidays; must sign in one hour before clinic closes. Payment/insurance information is due at the time of service. Billing is available.
After Hours Resources
If you are experiencing medical or psychological difficulties outside Counseling, Health, & Wellness Services office hours (see hours at right) and don't think you should wait for assistance, you may call the After Hours Consulting Nurse or go directly an urgent care facility or hospital emergency department.
The MultiCare (24 Hour) Consulting Nurse Service can be reached at 253.792.6411. The University of Puget Sound has contracted with this service to provide consultation and triage after Puget Sound Student hours. If you call this service, you will be asked to provide your student ID number. A summary of your consultation will be faxed to Counseling, Health, & Wellness Services for inclusion in your medical record here. Counseling, Health, & Wellness Services staff may initiate a follow-up phone call on the next working day, depending on the nature of your consultation.