Counseling, Health, and Wellness Services (CHWS) is pleased to provide an internal contact tracing system for the Puget Sound community. We are working alongside the Tacoma Pierce County Public Health Department (TPCHD) to identify people who have tested positive COVID-19 and people who may be at risk for contracting COVID-19.
What is contact tracing?
Contact tracing is a tried and true public health strategy used to drastically slow the spread of infectious diseases, such as COVID-19.
What do we actually do?
- Identify positive cases and make sure they can safely isolate.
- Identify anyone who was in close contact with the positive case while they might have been contagious. We define close contact as being within 6 feet of someone who tested positive for 15 minutes, regardless of mask wearing.
- Call and/or email close contacts and make recommendations.
**These calls are confidential and we are not affiliated with student conduct. Any information you share with the contact tracing team will not be shared without your permission.**
What are the isolation/quarantine guidelines?
- If you test positive for COVID-19, you will need to isolate for 10 days.
- If you were in close contact with someone who tested positive and you are vaccinated, please seek COVID-19 testing three to five days after your exposure, wear a mask, watch for symptoms, and repeat a PCR COVID-19 test seven to 10 days after your exposure. If you develop symptoms, stay home, quarantine, and seek an appointment in CHWS or off campus for a COVID-19 test.
- If you were in close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19 while they were infectious and you are not vaccinated, you will need to quarantine for 14 days.
The university provides on-campus spaces for students to isolate and quarantine at no charge. You are provided with a campus room and bathroom space so you can avoid contact with others while you might be infectious.
You should get in touch with the contact tracing team if…
- You test positive for COVID-19
- Have questions about isolation and quarantine guidelines
- Need support isolating or quarantining
Reach us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Expect receive a response in one to two business days.
As students, faculty, and staff of Puget Sound, it is our responsibility to take measures to keep our campus and the surrounding Tacoma community safe. We appreciate your cooperation and support!