Puget Sound alumni are uniquely situated to help students with their career development and job/internship search process.
Approach these professionals on LinkedIn to learn about their career or organization—why they like what they do, how early jobs shaped their career path, and what advice they might offer you—think informational interview.
Once you've created a LinkedIn profile, you can join groups and pose questions, learn from articles and resources shared by members, and network with professionals working in career fields of interest.
- Create your profile:
- Use the CES LinkedIn tips to get started.
- Schedule an appointment with CES to polish your profile.
- Search for Puget Sound alumni using the LinkedIn Alumni Tool.
Be a savvy professional communicator
Carefully consider how you navigate a conversation string in public where everyone can see what you post. Every online interaction creates a tiny imprint in the Internet universe—you're leaving a trail, so make it a good one.
People respond to messages/posts that are courteous, well-written, and error-free. Be specific, appreciative, and positive in your communications:
- Keep the conversation polite, positive, and pertinent.
- Make it easy for parents/alumni to respond quickly by providing context and making specific requests for information.
- Send a thank you note after interacting.
- Use the "send message" function:
- Take conversations off line as appropriate.
- Reach out to specific individuals of interest.