IRS Data Retrieval Tool
**Please be aware that the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) is currently unavailable. Until DRT is available, please complete your FAFSA using a copy of your 2015 Tax Return. If you're selected for Verification, please submit a copy of student and parent 2015 IRS Tax Transcript.
The easiest way to complete your FAFSA with accurate tax information is by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. In a few simple steps, you may be able to view your tax information and transfer it directly into your FAFSA.
- Beginning February 5, you will have the opportunity to automatically link to the IRS to complete your FAFSA.
- Your federal tax return must be filed electronically at least two weeks prior to using the FAFSA IRS Data Retrieval Tool to allow the IRS time to process your return. Paper filing will require a longer wait time.
- FAFSA priority deadline for currently enrolled students is March 31.
- If you cannot complete your federal tax return by March 31, you can submit your FAFSA using estimates. Once you have completed your taxes, you can submit a FAFSA correction and use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool at that time.
- Certain tax filers will not be eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
- Filing status - Married Filing Separately
- Filing status - Head of Household
- Filed Amended Tax Return
- Filed a Puerto Rican or Foreign Tax Return
- Recently filed taxes (must file taxes electronically at least two weeks prior to using tool)