Application Checklist and Deadlines
When to Apply to Puget Sound:
For a fall semester start: For best class and housing availability, we recommend that you apply by the transfer early action deadline of April 15th. We will continue to accept applications through our transfer regular decision deadline of July 15th.
For a spring semester start: Please apply by December 1st.
If you have questions or concerns about the dates listed above, please contact our transfer admission coordinator. We’re happy to work with you to the best of our ability.
How to Apply to Puget Sound:
In reviewing transfer applications, Puget Sound values students who demonstrate intellectual independence and curiosity, manage their time well, and commit to excellence both in and outside the classroom. We review an applicant’s entire college program, including the rigor of their courses, their grades, writing ability, and extracurricular activities. To that end, we ask that you provide the following:
Required for all Transfer Applicants:
- The Common Application for transfer students. The transfer application, including the personal statement and University of Puget Sound supplemental questions, should be submitted along with the $65 application fee to Puget Sound through CommonApp.org. The application fee is not required if you have previously applied to Puget Sound,
if you are a veteran of the US Armed Forces, or if you attend a Washington State community college.
- An official college transcript from every college you have attended. The transcript must be official, and it must come directly to Puget Sound from the issuing institution. Due to its speed and reliability, electronic transmission is preferred, but official paper transcripts may be sent to the address listed at the bottom of the page if necessary.
- An academic evaluation. The academic evaluation is a recommendation from a college instructor. Listing an instructor in the “recommenders” section of the application will generate an email from Common App to that recommender with instructions for submitting the academic evaluation. Alternatively, you may ask your recommender to email a letter of recommendation directly to our transfer admission coordinator at the address listed below.
- The college report. The college report confirms that you are in good standing at your current (or most recent) college and would be eligible to return. Please print the form, complete your portion, then take or email it to the Registrar’s office of your current (or most recent) college. An official at that institution should complete and sign the form, then email it directly to our transfer admission coordinator at the email address listed below.
Required for some Transfer Applicants:
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Required for transfer applicants who wish to be considered for need-based financial aid.
- Official high school transcript. Required for transfer applicants who have earned fewer than 7 units (42 quarter hours or 28 semester hours) of graded college credit after high school.
- Official TOEFL or IELTS results. Required for some international students. Learn more about the TOEFL and IELTS exams.
- Music application and audition. Required for acceptance into the School of Music as a major or a minor, and for music scholarship consideration. Additional deadlines apply; please contact the Office of Admission as soon as possible for more information.
Encouraged for all Transfer Applicants:
- Campus Visit. The best way to discover if Puget Sound is right for you is by arranging a visit and interacting with our friendly students, faculty, and staff.
- Interview or appointment. Although not required, a conversation with an admission counselor is a great opportunity to discuss your individual circumstances and learn more about academics and campus life at Puget Sound. You can request an appointment through our website or by reaching out directly to our transfer admission coordinator (see below).
Mailed application materials may be sent to:
University of Puget Sound
Office of Admission
1500 North Warner St #1062
Tacoma, WA 98416-1062
Contact our transfer admission coordinator:
Torri Henson, Assistant Director of Admission