COVID-19 Impacts to Study Abroad
Puget Sound has withdrawn study abroad approval for all fall 2020 study abroad students
Puget Sound will support students if they would like to defer their study abroad plan to the spring 2021 semester or a future semester.
It became increasingly clear that conditions with the COVID-19 pandemic had not improved enough to ease travel uncertainties or safety concerns for Puget Sound to be confident that our students would have a quality study abroad experience this fall. Therefore, Puget Sound has withdrawn study abroad approval for all fall 2020 study abroad students.
Recommended Next Steps for students:
- Enroll for fall Puget Sound courses, if they have not already done so
- Work with their faculty advisor to review their academic plan to determine when it would be best for them to study abroad during a future semester
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know if they would like to:
- Defer their study abroad experience to the spring 2021
- Defer their study abroad experience to the fall 2021 or a future semester
- Withdraw from study abroad
- Contact their program provider directly and let them know their plans
- Contact Residence Life to arrange campus housing
Summer 2020 Study Abroad
All Puget Sound summer 2020 approved study abroad programs have been cancelled and will not run during the summer 2020.
Spring 2020 Study Abroad and CARES Act Funding
Spring 2020 Study Abroad students who had unreimbursed flight cancellation fees, change fees, or other airfare/transportation costs related to travel earlier than planned home from your study abroad program, may be eligible for CARES Act funding.
Following is the link to learn more and complete an application for CARES Act funding:
Spring 2020 Study Abroad Prorated Adjustments for Room and Board
Puget Sound will provide a prorated room and board adjustment to spring 2020 study abroad students regardless of whether their program provided a refund to the University on their behalf. Students will receive a 45% adjustment of their original room and board charges as billed to them by Puget Sound, or the amount refunded to Puget Sound by their program provider, whichever is greater.
Prorated adjustments for room and board will be provided to study abroad students as follows:
- Adjustments for room charges will be provided to students if they were billed for room by Puget Sound as part of their study abroad program. The adjustment corresponds to room fees for the period from March 25 to May 15, consistent with the adjustment period for on-campus students
- Adjustments for board charges will be provided to students if they were billed for board by Puget Sound as part of their study abroad program. The adjustment corresponds to board fees for the period March 25 to May 15, consistent with the adjustment period for on-campus students
- Adjustments will be applied to each student’s account by Student Financial Services. These adjustments will first be applied to any outstanding account balance. Any remaining credit balance will be handled as follows:
- for students not graduating this spring, this credit will be applied to charges for the next term of enrollment.
- for students graduating spring 2020, a refund of the credit balance will be issued.
Student Financial Services will share more details with students via their pugetsound.edu email addresses in the coming weeks. We anticipate that credits will be posted during the week of April 20 and that refunds to seniors will be issued by May 24.