Maintaining F-1/J-1 Status

F-1/J-1 visa students must comply with the regulations stipulated by the United States Bureau of Customs and Immigration Service (USCIS). All students are responsible for maintaining their immigration status. Briefly, you must follow these ten regulations:

  1. Complete the USCIS Intake Form provided at the beginning of the school year and return it to the Director of International Programs within ten (10) days of the start of classes.
  2. Register for a full course of study each term (except summer term when attendance is optional). A student enrolled for three or more units per semester is considered a full-time student.
  3. Make normal progress towards completing the degree program as noted on your I-20. Normal progress at Puget Sound is defined as the successful completion of three (3.00) units per semester, and cumulative GPA of 2.00 or above, 3.00 for graduate students.
  4. Accept on-campus employment only with permission from the Director of International Programs or the International Student Advisor. You must not accept off-campus employment during your first year at Puget Sound, and only with permission from USCIS during subsequent years.
  5. F-1 visa students must not transfer from one school to another without first securing permission from the Director of International Programs at your old school. If you wish to transfer schools in order to move to the next level of education (for example: from a bachelor's to a master's degree program), you must secure permission from USCIS.
  6. Attend the school specified on the I-20 for at least one day before initiating any transfer procedures.
  7. Make certain that all information on the I-20/DS-2019 is current and complete. If anything is incorrect, contact the International Student Advisor immediately.
  8. Find a safe place for your passport and I-20/DS-2019, since these are your legal identification. Obtain a Washington State ID Card, so that you don't have to carry your passport and I-20/DS-2019 with you.
  9. Report any change of address to International Student Advisor and to USCIS within 10 days of the change.
  10. *Keep your passport valid at all times.