Interested in joining Psi Chi?
Psi Chi is an honor society for psychology majors only and has specific requirements for membership. Visit Psi Chi for more information on membership. Here at Puget Sound, Psi Chi and Psychology Club meet and work together on events.
How can you get involved?
Sign up today! Provide your contact information and we will let you know when and where the next meeting or event will be happening. You can send an e-mail to Alissa Charvonia (Psi Chi) or Aubrey Deneen (Psi Chi) to be put on the mailing list.
Psi Chi Members: If you are interested in applying for Psi Chi’s leadership team for the next academic year (2017-2018), feel free to talk to anyone on the Exec board this year. Applications and the due date will be announced later this semester.
Psi Chi Events
Study Hours, Sundays 4 pm - 6 pm in WEY 402, Wednesdays 5 pm - 7 pm in WEY 401, Psi Chi members will receive points for attendance at study hours, as they would for any event, but study hours are open to any psychology student wanting to get some work done with friends, ask other psychology students for help, or get to know more about Psi Chi!
Faculty Lectures: As we know from tidbits we hear from them during classes, our faculty all have fascinating research interests and valuable experience for us to hear. In our faculty lecture series, they will share with us what they have learned from their time in the discipline. This semester, some faculty lectures will have a particular focus on how psychology relates to social action!
- Initiation: As we prepare to say goodbye to the graduating seniors of Psi Chi, we also get to welcome incoming members! New members will be invited via the psychology department, and be able to attend an initiation in which they mingle with current members, eat some great food, and hear what Psi Chi can offer them in their career as a psychology student and beyond.
- Halloween Party: Wednesday, October 26, 2016. Every year , the psychology department faculty and students dress up, eat snacks, and get a little competitive! This year we enjoyed pumpkin decorating, mummy relay races, and lots of great costumes!
- CES Event: November 7, 2016. There are so many career paths within psychology that it can be tricky to know where to start! Thank you to Career and Employment Services (CES) for hosting a special event for Psi Chi to show us how to explore different career options through networking, LinkedIn, and University resources.
- Welcome Meeting: Current members got together at the beginning of the semester to talk about Psi Chi’s plans, desires for the upcoming year, and most importantly, play some psychology Jeopardy!
Past Psi Chi Events (2014-2016)
- PSI Chi Faculty Lectures
- Halloween Party, Thursday, October 29, 6:30-8:00 pm, WEY 319 All campus is welcome to attend! Come dressed in your favorite costume. There will be trivia, a pumpkin carving contest, arts and crafts, food (pizza, candy, vegetable platters, and beverages), and more.
- PSI Chi Homework Hours, Every Sunday & Wednesday Nights, 7-9 pm, WEY 320 All psychology students are invited to come to work individually or in groups. Psi Chi members will be present to answer questions about statistics, APA style, experimental design, and anything else that may come up
- What Can I Do With My Psych Degree?? Learn about potential career paths, how to get into graduate school, and what other options are open to you with a degree in psychology! Carolyn Weisz, Erin Colbert White, and David Moore with be talking about their career paths and offering advice to students. We are also trying to get some alumni to talk. The event will conclude with a question and answer session.
- Psychology Research Symposium A night of student research presentations, conversation, and snacks! See what fellow psych students have been up to and learn what research facilitated by UPS is all about.
- Treehouse Treehouse is a place where families can stay to be close to family members in the hospital. The purpose of the event is to provide some Halloween activities for the children and cook and enjoy a meal with the families. A Psi Chi activity for members to be involved in this great opportunity to practice your people skills and help provide a positive atmosphere for families who are going through a lot of stressful life events.
- High School Senior Application Workshop We will be helping high school seniors build their personal statements for their college applications.
Some of us are staying in contact with the student we worked with and providing feedback on essays and offering support through the college application process.
- Volunteer Opportunity: High school Senior Writing Workshop We will be helping with the next college application writing workshop for Tacoma High School Seniors. We will talk to students about their personal statements and other college essays. A lot of students will be interested in your experience with college and about the college application process in general. You do not need to be an expert at personal statements to help the students. Last time, many high school seniors believed they did not have a story to tell and we listened to their experiences and helped them realize that everyone has a story to tell. There will also be a brief training at the start of each shift to provide you with information about what makes a strong personal statement. Everyone who helped at the last one thought it was an incredible experience. David Adler and Nicky Reed were even quoted in the newspaper!
- Psi Chi Holiday Gathering - come relax and de-stress before finals with Psi Chi! We will have hot cocoa, holiday treats, and fun activities.
Topic Toss Up - discuss current events relating to psychology and neuroscience with students and faculty - snacks are always provided!
(Points will be given for attending all of these events)