Information for current physics students

Information about majoring in physics

       What can I do with a physics degree?

       Puget Sound physics degree requirements

       Puget Sound physics curriculum guide

       Puget Sound physics course descriptions

Research resources at Collins Memorial Library

       Physics Research Guide

       Research 101 online tutorial

Dual Degree Engineering Program

The Dual Degree Engineering program at Puget Sound allows students to earn two Bachelor’s degrees, one in a chosen major like physics, chemistry or mathematics from the University of Puget Sound and one in engineering (from an engineering school).  Dual-degree students spend their first three years of college at Puget Sound and then transfer to spend their last two years at one of our partner engineering schools.  Partner schools include Columbia University in New York, the University of Southern California, and Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri.  For more details, see the Dual Degree Engineering program web page

Summer research opportunities

Physics students who are interested in graduate study in physics or other technical fields should consider gaining some research experience.  Paid summer research opportunities are available both on campus (working with Puget Sound physics faculty members) and off-campus at other universities and government laboratories.  The list of off-campus opportunities shown here is just a sample of the available programs.  Deadlines for applications for summer programs usually fall in early January to early March.        

     On campus at Puget Sound:
     Summer Science Research Program 

     At other locations:
     National Science Foundation (NSF) Research Experiences for Undergraduates programs

     NASA Undergraduate Student Research Program

     Department of Energy student programs

     Summer Undergraduate Laboratory Internships (SULI) program from Dept. of Energy

     Society of Physics Students summer research jobs listing

Are you looking for a job after earning a Bachelor’s degree in physics?  

As a starting point, consider contacting the Puget Sound Office of Career and Employment Services.  Look at their advice for job-seeking physics majors here.

Below are listed a few websites with job listings related to physics.  There should be ways to search the listings so that you can find "entry-level" or "bachelors"-level positions. 

       1)  Work in Optics
            (Mostly industry positions, along with maybe a few government lab jobs.)    

       2)  NASA jobs  

       3)  Society of Physics Students job listing 

       4)  Physics Today job listing (may have lots of overlap with #3) 

       5)  Department of Energy 

       6)  American Institute of Physics Career Information 

Do you want to earn a Master’s or PhD in physics?  

Students who are interested in graduate school in physics should take the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) General Test and the Physics Subject Test late in their junior year or early in their senior year.  The General Test is computer-based and can be taken on a wide variety of dates.  The Physics Subject Test is a paper-based exam and is only given in April, September, and October.  Deadlines for applications for graduate programs usually begin in December for the following fall. 

       More information can be found by following these links:

       Information about graduate programs in physics and related fields

       Information about the General GRE test 

       Information about the Physics Subject GRE test 

       Advice about applying to graduate school in physics, from Duke University

       Advice about applying to graduate school in physics from MIT Women in Physics group 

Physics-related extra-curricular activities at Puget Sound