Do I Need to Audition?
In addition to your Puget Sound application, an entrance audition and audition application is required for:
- Acceptance to a music major
- Music scholarship consideration, regardless of major or minor
A completed music scholarship/major audition application consists of the following:
- The completed Music Audition Application.
- A completed audition on-campus, at a regional location in Denver, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, or San Francisco, or a recorded audition. The recorded audition option is only available to those who cannot make an audition date or live more than 200 miles from an audition location, find out more about submitting recorded auditions.
- Prospective Music majors only: One letter of recommendation from your private teacher or conductor, submitted using our online recommendation form, and a resume of your music experience (presented at your audition). The music recommendation is separate from recommendations submitted for your Puget Sound application, which requires at least one recommendation from an academic teacher.
- Recommended for all applicants: a resume of your music experience submitted with your Audition application.
It is important to note that we do not accept the arts supplement on the Common Application. The audition and accompanying materials replace the arts supplement.
Early Decision Students and Transfer Students
Please see important information for Early Decision students and for Transfer students.
When to Submit This Form
The Music Audition Application is due November 1 (Early Action/Early Decision/Spring Transfer applicants) and December 10 (Regular Decision/Fall Transfer applicants). All music audition dates are listed below.
- Recorded auditions: Audition must be submitted electronically by November 15 (Early Action/Early Decision/Spring Transfer) or February 1 (Regular Decision/Fall Transfer).
- Alternate date auditions: For special circumstances, if you are not able to attend the on-campus audition dates, please contact the music recruitment coordinator to schedule an audition on a different date (not all dates available).
- Auditioning on two instruments? Please indicate this on the Music Audition Application. This also applies if you are planning to complete a jazz and classical audition on the same instrument.
Early Action/Early Decision/Spring Transfer Auditions (application deadline: November 1)
On-Campus: November 11, 2018
Recorded Audition Deadline: November 15, 2018
Regular Decision Auditions (application deadline: December 10)
Los Angeles: January 19, 2019
Minneapolis: January 20, 2019
San Francisco: January 26 & 27, 2019
Denver: January 27, 2019
Recorded Audition Deadline: February 1, 2019
On Campus: February 2, 2019
On Campus: February 9, 2019
Early Action/Early Decision/Spring Transfer students who are admitted to Puget Sound are notified of acceptance to the major and/or receipt of a scholarship in mid-January. Regular Decision/Fall Transfer students who are admitted to Puget Sound are notified of acceptance to the major and/or receipt of a scholarship in mid-March.
Percussion and Organ Auditions
Due to limitations of available equipment, we are unable to provide any percussion equipment or an organ in our regional audition locations. Both will be available on campus. If you are unable to audition on campus, please contact email@example.com and submit a video-recorded audition.