Requirements for the Music Minors
Minor in Music with Applied Studies
This minor is designed for students who want to study music and performance at the collegiate level. Qualification for Applied Music lessons in the student’s desired performance area is assessed through audition prior to declaring the Minor in Music with Applied Studies. Interested students should communicate with a full-time music faculty member to learn about setting up an audition.
- Two units Theory: MUS 101/103, 102/104;
- Two units Musicology/Ethnomusicology from the list in the university bulletin, or MUS 123. MUS 100, if chosen, may only be taken in the first or second year. MUS 123, if chosen, must be taken before MUS 101/103 and prior to the commencement of applied music study for credit;.
- One unit Applied Music: MUS 111 through 212;
- One unit Music elective (MUS 100 may be taken only in the first or second year) or HUM 315 or 316;
- Each student minoring in Music with Applied Studies shall register for credit and maintain membership for at least four semesters in the large university music ensemble (band, orchestra, choir or Accompanying Ensemble; Jazz Orchestra for pianists and guitarists) appropriate to the student’s major instrument and ability.
Minor in Musical Inquiry
This minor is open to all students who seek to explore the study of music as part of their liberal arts education. No prior musical experience or audition is required. Interested students should communicate with a full-time music faculty member to learn about establishing a secondary advisor for this minor.
- Four units of coursework in Music (excluding applied music and ensemble participation); students may petition to include non-MUS courses with a significant music component;
- One unit of Music coursework at the 300-level or above, or HUM 315 or HUM 316;
- Participation in one semester of music-making activity, to be approved in advance by the secondary advisor;
- Completion of a reflective ePortfolio, undertaken with guidance from the secondary advisor and submitted to the School of Music by April 1 of the senior year.