General Requirements for the Major or Minor
General university degree requirements stipulate that 1) at least four units of the major or three units of the minor be taken in residence at Puget Sound; 2) students earn a GPA of 2.0 in courses taken for the major or the minor; and 3) all courses taken for a major or minor must be taken for graded credit. Any exceptions to these stipulations are indicated in the major and minor degree requirements listed below.
Requirements for the Major
- Foundations: ENGL 220 plus three (3) additional courses from ENGL 221-239.
- Constructing Knowledge: Four (4) courses from ENGL 321-389. Students must have completed ENGL 220 and at least one other 200-level requirement to register for courses at the 300 level.
- Senior Seminars: Two (2) courses from ENGL 430-497. Students must have completed all 200-level requirements toward the major and a minimum of two courses at the 300 level before registering for a senior seminar.
- Works before 1800: Two of the 10 units taken for the English major must focus primarily on texts written before 1800. The following courses usually fulfill the pre-1800 requirement: English 231, 232, 234; 330 when taught by Prof. Hale; 332 when taught by Prof. Erving; 335 when taught by Prof. Wesley; 245, 353, 349, 365, 371, 372, 381 Geoffrey Chaucer, 381 William Shakespeare, 381 John Milton, 381 William Blake; 383 Studies in Medieval Literature, 383 Studies in Sixteenth-Century British Literature, 383 Studies in Seventeenth-Century British Literature, 383 Studies in Eighteenth-Century British Literature, 383 Studies in Seventeenth- and Eighteenth-Century American Literature; ENGL 431 when taught by Professor Hale; ENGL 432 when taught by Professors Despres, Erving, or Wesley. Please consult the department website for the most up-to-date list of courses that fulfill this requirement each semester; the Registrar or department can also be consulted.
Requirements for the Major with Creative Writing Focus
Students who complete four courses from among the Department's Creative Writing offerings (ENGL 227, 228, 325-328, 434) will receive a B.A. in English with a Focus in Creative Writing noted on their transcripts.
Requirements for the Minor
- Foundations: ENGL 220 plus three (3) additional courses from ENGL 221-249.
- One course from ENGL 321-389. Students must have completed ENGL 220 and at least one other 200-level requirement to register for courses at the 300 level.
- The student must have a grade of C- or above in each course applied to a major or minor.
- There is no time limit on courses applicable to an English major or minor.
- ENGL courses that fulfill the University Core (Artistic Approaches or Humanistic Approaches) cannot be applied towards the major or minor.
- Non-majors who wish to enroll in English courses at the 300-level or above need upper-division standing or permission of the instructor.