Requirements for the Interdisciplinary Emphasis in Bioethics
Completion of six units to include:
- One unit of BIOL 101, 102, or 111 (these courses can satisfy the Natural Scientific Core requirement), or the AP equivalent.
- BIOE/REL 292 or BIOE/PHIL 292.
- Three elective units distributed as follows: Scientific (up to 1 course), Ethical (up to 2 courses), and Humanities & Social Sciences (up to 2 courses).
- BIOE 400 Bioethics Integration Seminar.
- BIOL 212 Cell Biology
- BIOL 213 Genetics
- BIOL 362 Nanobiology
- BIOL 370 Conservation Biology
- BIOL 375 Developmental Biology
- BIOL 404 Molecular Biology
- CONN 410 Science and Economics of Climate Change
- EXSC 424 Neuroplasticity
- NRSC 201 Foundations of Neuroscience
- NRSC 450 Seminar in Neuroscience
- PSYC 312 Applied Psychological Measurement
- PSYC 320 Psychological Disorders
- PSYC 371 Cognition and Aging
- BIOE 350 Clinical Bioethics
- BIOE 392 Practicum: Clinical Bioethics
- CONN 393 The Cognitive Foundations of Morality and Religion*
- PHIL 105 Neuroethics and Human Enhancement
- PHIL 250 Moral Philosophy
- PHIL 285 Environmental Ethics
- PHIL 370 Social and Political Philosophy
- PHIL 378 Philosophy of Law
- REL 265 Thinking Ethically
- REL 320 Reproductive Ethics
- STS 333 Evolution and Ethics*
Humanities & Social Sciences
- BUS 478 Environmental Law
- COMM 252 Health Communication Campaigns
- CONN 320 Health and Medicine*
- CONN 357 Animal Minds*
- CONN 387 Never-Never Land*
- CONN 478 Animals, Law, and Society*
- ECON 225 Environmental and Natural Resource Economics
- ENGL 348 Illness and Narrative: Discourses of Disease
- ENGL 374 Literature and the Environment
- IPE 331 The International Political Economy of Food and Agriculture
- IPE 389 Global Struggles over Intellectual Property*
- PHIL 230 Philosophy of Mind
- PHIL 389 Race & Philosophy
- PHIL 390 Gender & Philosophy
- REL 204 Religions of the Book
- SOAN 225 Asian Medical Systems
- SOAN 360 Sociology of Health and Medicine
- SOAN 365 Global Health
- SOAN 370 Disability, Identity, and Power
- STS 318 Science and Gender*
- STS 330 Evolution and Society Since Darwin*
- STS 366 History of Medicine
- STS 375 Science and Politics*
* Can also satisfy the Connections core requirement.
For complete descriptions of the elective courses, please consult the relevant departments in which these courses appear.
- BIOE/REL 292 or BIOE/PHIL 292 is a prerequisite for BIOE 392 and 400.
- Students who study abroad may apply one approved course toward the elective requirement unless an exception is granted by the Program Director.