Army Special Training Program (ASTP) in Kittredge Hall

From December of 1943 to March 1944, 238 enlisted soldiers in the Army Specialized Training Program (ASTP) Unit 3966 were housed on the Puget Sound campus with Kittredge Hall as their headquarters.  In the months leading up to their deployment to World War II in Europe – first D-Day and then late that year fighting in the Battle of the Bulge – ASTP soldiers had a welcome home on the Puget Sound campus, taking classes and preparing for service in the war overseas.  In 1996 a bronze plaque honoring the ASTP service and sacrifice was dedicated outside of Kittredge Hall and the Specialized Training Members declared honorary alumni of the University of Puget Sound.