Thinking about teaching history?
One part of preparing to teach history is a strong preparation in the subject. The best content preparation is a major in history. If you are unable to major in history you can still teach history if you prepare carefully.
To gain a history endorsement you must demonstrate your subject-matter knowledge in two ways prior to your admission to the M.A.T. program.
- You must pass the Washington Educator Skills Test—Endorsements (WEST-E) in history.
- You must also have taken coursework that prepares you for teaching secondary history. This generally means at least 5 Puget Sound units in history. These units should include:
- Coursework in U.S. History. At Puget Sound take: History 152 and 153: The American Experience
- Coursework in Historical Methods. At Puget Sound take: History 200: Doing History
- At least one course focused on World History
For additional information, contact the School of Education.