Credit No Credit Policy for Fall 2020

For the Fall 2020 semester, the University approved temporary changes to academic policies in order to provide flexibility for our remote learning environment to allow students to successfully complete academic work during the pandemic.

The purpose of this message is to provide information on the policy changes related to the Credit/No Credit grading option.

Credit/No Credit Grading Policy for Fall 2020:

Undergraduate students may elect to change any Fall 2020 course that normally requires a letter grade (A-F) to Credit/No Credit instead. Students may make this revision to their grading option only between November 9 and November 20. Courses currently approved for Pass/Fail grading would not be eligible.  Graduate students should work with their advisors to determine their eligibility for the CR/NC option.

Classes taken with the Credit/No Credit option will fulfill major, minor, and core requirements this semester even though that is not normally allowed in the Credit/No Credit policy.   Additionally, classes taken on a Credit/No Credit basis during the Fall 2020 term will not count toward the maximum limit of 4 Credit/No Credit units.

Credit/No Credit grading may be the best choice for your remote learning environment. However, also consider whether letter grading is preferable in order to satisfy the 2.0 GPA minimum in major, minor and cumulative GPA requirements, or to qualify for university honors at graduation which requires 16 graded units on campus. Letter grading is still required to impact your term GPA and major, minor, and cumulative GPA.

Per the 2020-21 Bulletin (p. 46) “…courses taken with the Credit/No Credit option are not calculated into the student’s grade point average. If the professor submits a letter grade of C- or higher the student will receive credit for the course; if the professor submits a letter grade of D+ or lower the student will not receive credit for the course.”

Further details on the Credit/No Credit option are available in the Bulletin (p. 46).

We encourage you to discuss your decision with your instructor, faculty advisor or Academic Advising (

Credit/No Credit Grading Process – How to Submit Request

Students will have access to a Google form from November 9th through November 20th that will provide a means for submitting the Credit/No Credit request to the Office of the Registrar.   Students will be notified through their Puget Sound email account when the form is ready. The Google form will allow students to indicate which courses, if any, they would like to change from a standard letter grade (A-F) to the Credit/No Credit option. 

Please do not email the Registrar’s Office to request the Credit/No Credit option, and wait for the Google form.  However, if you have policy questions, feel free to contact the Registrar’s Office (

Faculty will submit a standard letter grade at the conclusion of the term. The Office of the Registrar will then convert grades with C- or higher to CR (credit) and grades lower than C- to NC (no credit).

Credit/No Credit Grading Considerations

For Spring 2021 Registration

●       A prerequisite course taken in Fall 2020 that receives a CR grade for credit will fulfill any prerequisite requiring a minimum grade of C- or higher.

●       If students register for a course in Spring 2021 (or another future term) which was previously taken in Fall 2020 with the CR/NC grade option: 

o   If the Spring 2021 (or later term) course earns D- or higher, that would earn credit for the previously-taken Spring course with the NC grade. 

o   If the Spring 2021 (or later term) course earns C grade or better, that would replace the CR grade from the Spring course with a letter grade.

For Course Repeats in Fall 2020

●       A course repeated in Fall 2020 with a CR grade will replace the grade for a previously taken course if the prior grade was lower than a C- grade.  If the Fall course earns NC, then the prior grade will remain.


For Graduating Students in Fall 2020

At this time, we do not anticipate any delay in posting Fall degrees or mailing diplomas.

For Students Interested in Raising their GPA due to Sanctions, Minimum Major/Minor or Degree GPA, or Dean’s List.

  Academic Sanctions:

1.       There will be no new academic sanctions imposed based on grades assigned during Fall 2020.

2.       Students currently on an academic sanction (e.g., probation, continued probation, or warning) may improve their academic standing based on one or more letter grades earned during Fall 2020.

3.       Students currently on an academic sanction (e.g., probation, continued probation, or warning) will not have any additional sanction imposed based on any letter or CR/NC grades assigned Fall 2020. They will be continued on the existing academic sanction in place at the start of Fall 2020.

4.       The above does not apply to cases of academic integrity violation.

Dean’s List for Fall 2020

To be eligible to qualify for the Dean’s List in Fall 2020, students must take at least 3 units for a letter grade; have a 3.70 term GPA or higher; and not have a Withdrawal or Incomplete during Fall 2020.

 Minimum GPA for the degree, major or minor

Students working to meet the 2.00 minimum cumulative GPA or 2.0 minimum GPA for a major or minor for graduation should work with their faculty advisor and/or the Office of Academic Advising prior to selecting courses for Credit/No Credit.

Student Records and Graduate School Applications

Under certain circumstances students may be required to submit a standard letter grade as part of an application process. The Office of the Registrar will maintain a record of the standard letter grade submitted by the faculty prior to converting it to Credit/No Credit. Students can request that this grade is provided in the event it is required to apply to graduate school. However, the transcript will not be updated to include the standard letter grade if the student chooses the Credit/No Credit option. The process for making this request will be published at a later date.

Course Withdrawal Deadline:    The Fall 2020 automatic W deadline is November 20.   A 'W' (withdrawal) grade has no impact on the GPA. 

Medical Withdrawal Policy:  Medical withdrawal may be an appropriate response to a medical or psychological condition that prevents a student from completing the semester’s work.  Staff members in the Office of the Dean of Students and the Office of Academic Advising assist students with this process.

Incomplete Grading:  This option is available for students, as specified in the Bulletin (p. 48).  It is for students who have completed work of a passing quality, but who have a limited portion of the coursework unfinished because of illness or other exceptional circumstance.    Students must request incomplete grading from their instructor no later than the last day of class.  If the instructor approves the request, the student and instructor complete a contract that lists remaining coursework and deadlines for submission.  Completed contracts must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar.

We understand that questions may arise that are not covered in this document.  Please know that there are several resources available to assist you with your decisions.  Those resources include your faculty advisor, the Office of Academic Advising, and the Office of the University Registrar.  Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions.