Visit THE MAGICIAN at Collins Library
The Magician and Two-Dimensional Ed
January 20 - May 29, 2020
Collins Side Gallery
The Magician (2013) is an epic graphic novel, a bookmaking tour de force,
a mesmerizing art object, and the completion of over a decade-long obsession of
author Chris Byrne. This enigmatic box of wonders houses a dozen separate
publications, printed and hand bound using a variety of techniques.
The books include Theogony, Handmade, Down the Head,
Mountain Man/She-Wolf, Letterpress Flipbook, 4-Ply Toilet Paper, Moleskine,
The Magician Manual, M-Phase, Unfinished Versions, Colophon, and Curtains.
Co-designed by Chris Byrne and Scott Newton
Published by Marquand Editions, Seattle
Edition of 20
“Chris Byrne has made an alt comic of such invention, thoughtfulness and ambition
that only Chris Ware‘s artistic production is on a similar playing field and I imagine
that Chris [Ware] will be impressed or astounded or disturbed by this narrative
machine that contains, issues and transcends the medium.”
— Gary Panter, February 2013
“There is no single apt reference point for Chris Byrne's ingenious The Magician. It
is a wunderkammer, a Cornell-ian box, a visual novel, a conjurer's tool kit. Above all
it‘s a moving, multifaceted graphic narrative. There's never been anything quite like it.”
— Dan Nadel, February 2013
The Magician (2013) is included in the following public collections:
- California Institute of the Arts, Valencia
- Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Columbia University, New York
- Rare Book and Special Collections Division, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
- Portland Art Museum, Portland, Oregon
- Ryerson and Burnham Libraries, The Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago
- School of Visual Arts Library, New York
- Thomas J. Watson Library, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
- The Magician and Archival Materials 2002-2013, Special Collections and
College of Visual Arts, University of North Texas, Denton
Articles, Reviews, and Posts:
- “Magic: The Gathering”
Art & Antiques. February 2015.
- “Chris Byrne: The Magician”
Workshop @ Christian Berst Art Brut. April 2015.
- “Book Reception: The Magician”
GuideLive, The Dallas Morning News. May, 1 2014.
- Geyer, Christina. “The book as art piece (bring $15,000 and an open mind)”
FD Luxe. March 30, 2014.
- Guarnaccia, Steven. “The Black and White Box: The Magician by Chris Byrne”
Illywords. December 19, 2013.
- Humphrey, Clark. “Random Links for 3/22/13”
Misc Media. March 22, 2013.
- Kennedy, Brandon. “Man in the Box”
Patron Magazine. December/January 2014.
- Knecht, Lyndsay. “From The Newsroom: Marketing Mammograms; A Magic Book”
KERA News. April, 30 2014.
- Laughlin, Jamie. “Baffling, Elaborate and Beautiful, The Magician Rewrites the Rules on Art Books”
Dallas Observer. October 31, 2013.
- “The Magician”
Comic Arts Brooklyn. November 7, 2013.
- “The Magician, an epic graphic novel by Chris Byrne”
smallrooms. May 5, 2014.
- “The Magician, epic graphic novel by Chris Byrne”
The Reading Room. April 14, 2014.
- Martin, Merritt. “The Magician”
Voice Places, Dallas Observer. April 28, 2014.
- “Most Complicated Art Book”
Paper Specs. November 4, 2013.
- Nadel, Dan. “A Conceptual Flush: The Magician”
The Comics Journal. March 20, 2013.
- Simek, Peter. “On a Slow Art Week, Time to Take Stock of a Month's Art Deluge”
Front Row, D Magazine. April 30, 2014.
- Vasta, Joseph. “The MAGICIAN Enigmatic Limited Edition Artist’s Book/Object”
Vasta Images/Books. November 24, 2013.
- Weeks, Jerome. “Making Some Major 'Magic' In Dallas”
Art&Seek. April 29, 2014.