This page is intended for Puget Sound faculty. It includes a list of links and other information about plagiarism.
What do we know about cheating and plagiarism?
- 72% of students admit to cheating on written work.
- 15% have submitted a paper obtained in large
part from a term paper mill or Web site.
- 52% have copied a few sentences from a Web site without citing the source.
- 90% of the students using the Internet to plagiarize have also plagiarized from written sources. (The Web has ‘created’ few new cheaters - 6% of all students.)
- The level of cheating is higher for business, engineering, and health related majors.
- Honor codes seem to reduce cheating.
- Students don't find certain forms of cheating very serious.
Why do students cheat?
- Lazy (32%)
- Grades (29%)
- Pressures to Succeed (12%)
- Ignorance (9%)
- Time pressure (5%)
- Other (13%)
Term Paper Mills
Term paper mills proliferate on the Web. Among the many that exist are:
- Academic Term Papers
- Cyber Essays
"...your one-stop source for free, high-quality term papers, essays, and reports on all subjects."
- Discount Paper Camp
Free quality essays, reports, term papers, and research papers. Custom writing service on any subject is available for a fee.
A portal site for essays, term papers, and book reports. This engine searches only free essay sites.
- Evil House of Cheat
A site that boasts more than 9,500 papers, as well as hyperlinks to other mills. Often busy.
- Free Essay Network
A network of sites that provide essays, term papers, and reports for students.
- Net Essays
Free term papers and essays for students by students
- Research Assistance
A fee based service
- Research Papers Online
A fee based service
- School Sucks
Posts hundreds of term papers for students to download for free
- Term Papers
- Term Paper Sites
Thousands of papers for sale
In addition to term paper mills, there are other ways to cheat.
- Course Web sites
Student papers are often included in course Web sites.
- Translations of Web documents
Use a search engine to find an article in a foreign language and then translate it into English.
- Missing Footnotes
- False References