Mission, Vision & Values
Collins Memorial Library provides excellent collections, quality service, engaging learning environments and innovative instruction in support of the university’s mission of teaching, learning, civic engagement and diversity.
Collins Memorial Library is one of the nation’s premier liberal arts college libraries and is recognized as an innovative and creative organization. The Library serves as the information gateway of choice for the Puget Sound community.
The Library staff embraces and supports the university’s core values of self expression, collegiality, courage, passion, diversity, leadership, stewardship and environment. In addition, we uphold the principles of the American Library Association’s Code of Ethics, including the principles of intellectual freedom and the protection of library user’s rights to privacy and confidentiality.
- Efforts to integrate information literacy across the curriculum will continue.
- Collaboration with other University departments plays a vital role in our success. Collins Library is an active participant in the collaborative and shared initiatives of the Orbis Cascade Alliance and other consortia.
- The successful library of the future consists of a careful balance between materials that are owned and those that are accessed. Providing access to quality electronic resources through a variety of methods continues to dominate collection development priorities.
- The library building remains an important gathering place for students and an emphasis on providing flexible individual and group learning spaces is critical.
- Continuous assessment of services, collections and user needs informs our practices so that we continue to use our fiscal and staff resources in the most efficient and effective manner.
- The library staff is flexible and poised to adapt to new work environments that result from changing trends in library information delivery, management and services.
- Library users prefer opportunities for customization of services, speed and convenience.
- Marketing and outreach efforts play an increasing role in improving our users understanding of library services and resources.
- The scholarly publishing environment will change more rapidly than in the past and will drive some changes in research methods, operations and collections.
Goals for the 2016 - 2017 Academic Year