Rankings & Recognition
Points of Pride
University of Puget Sound has earned a national reputation for excellent academics, value, campus culture, and more. Puget Sound is the only national independent liberal arts college in Western Washington, and one of just five independent colleges in the Northwest granted a charter by Phi Beta Kappa, the nation’s most prestigious honor society.
A Reputation for Excellence
Ranked among the top liberal arts colleges in the country by U.S. News & World Report, Kiplinger, Washington Monthly, Forbes, The Princeton Review, and others.
- One of 40 “Colleges That Change Lives.”
- Named to The Princeton Review’s Best 386 Colleges and Best Regional Colleges lists (2020).
- Ranked the 8th best liberal arts college in the country by Edsmart.org (2020).
- Ranked a top 35 best overall university in the West by Forbes (2019).
- A leading national institution for women who go on to earn doctoral degrees in STEM subjects, according to research by the Council of Independent Colleges and NORC at The University of Chicago (2019).
- One of the 20 most entrepreneurial colleges in the country, according to Forbes (2015).
Prestigious Academic Programs
Small class sizes, award-winning professors, and our commitment to experiential learning set Puget Sound’s academic programs apart.
- Nationally ranked programs in physical therapy, communications, political science (politics and government), psychology, art, and others by Niche.com (2020).
- Ranked top 15 in the country for cell biology and anatomical sciences by College Factual (2020).
- Among the best in the country for foreign language and linguistics, health and physical education, and geological and earth sciences, per College Factual (2020).
Value and Affordability
Puget Sound is committed to being accessible to students from a wide variety of backgrounds.
- Named a “best value” school by U.S. News & World Report and featured on Money.com’s best colleges list (2019).
- Included among the best value schools in the West by College Factual and among the best values in Washington state, according to BestValueSchools.com (2020, 2019).
A Leader in the Pacific Northwest
Puget Sound is a leading destination for students interested in a rigorous liberal arts education in the Pacific Northwest region.
- Ranked the fourth best overall university in Washington by College Factual (2020).
- Ranked top five in the state for overall academics, professors, psychology, political science, biology, communications, and history according to Niche.com (2020).
- Among the best colleges in the Pacific Northwest, according to College Raptor (2018).
An Acclaimed Residential Campus
Puget Sound is known for its vibrant student life, as well as for being one of the most picturesque campuses in the country.
- Named one of the 20 “Most Beautiful Campuses in America” by The Princeton Review (2019).
- Awarded a four-star rating for institutional commitment to LGBTQ-inclusive policies, programs, and practices by the Campus Pride Index (2019).
- A top university in the country for student voting, per Washington Monthly (2019).
- One of fewer than 100 universities designated as a “voter-friendly campus” by Campus Vote Project and NASPA: Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education (2017).
- An Arbor Day Foundation Tree Campus USA certified school (2019).
- KUPS 90.1 The Sound, our student-run radio station, named one of the 15 best college radio stations by The Princeton Review, Best College Reviews, and Radio Survivor (2019).
- Tacoma was named one of the 50 best college towns in the U.S. by Best College Reviews (2019).
Exceptional Student Outcomes
Judging by service or salary, Loggers are prepared for success after graduation.
- A top 10 Peace Corps volunteer-producing institution among small universities (2019).
- Among the highest Fulbright Scholar-producing small universities in the country (2019).
- A top Pacific Northwest university for salary potential, according to Payscale.com’s College Salary Report (2019).
- Among the highest salaries after graduation for Washington universities, per Puget Sound Business Journal (2017).
- Nationally ranked for social mobility by U.S. News & World Report (2019).