These trees can be seen between the Student Union Building and Trimble Hall (Lawrence Plaza). They were re-planted by the University of Puget Sound in 1989 in honor of the thirty students that were sent to internment camps during World War II. The original trees were gifts from the students to the school, their professors, and friends, given before they were sent to the internment camps in May of 1942.
A plaque nearby reads:
The flowering cherry trees on Lawrence Plaza are dedicated to the students of Japanese ancestry whose education at Puget Sound was interrupted by their relocation into internment camps in May of 1942.
November 17, 1989