The Slater Museum of Natural History is Located in Thompson Hall, room 295. It was dedicated in 1979 in honor of James Slater. James Slator was a biology professor at the University of Puget Sound from 1919-1951 and a honorary Doctor of Science '54.
James R. Slater started the museum as a collection of reptiles and amphibians and was the director from 1930-1951. The Bird Division was established in 1934 by Gordon D. Alcorn, the Mammal Division in 1946 by Murray L. Johnson.
The museum is closely associated with the biology department.