How do I make a navigation link to another part of the website? (aka External Link)
Do you need a link in the maroon side navigation that goes...somewhere else? Not to one of your subpages? Or maybe to one of your DEEP subpages? Typically the maroon navigation links on your page should link only to your own pages and other links should be included in the Related Pages right-side callout. However, if absolutely necessary, you can add a link to your navigation box that goes "somewhere else."
- Navigate in CMS so that you're looking at the subpages that appear in the navigation box where you want your link to appear.
- Click the Add Subpage link at the top of the page. Your new page will be added to the list as a subpage in this section.
- On the Properties tab, enter the Navigation Title you want to be displayed in the navigation box. Remember to keep it short and use ampersands (&) if necessary. The Page Title is auto-filled in as you enter the Navigation Title.
- At the bottom of the Properties tab, in the External Link field, paste in the full URL for the page you want your link to go to, including the https://. This overrides the default creation of a templated page of content for this item.
(Note: If you want to link to a document, follow the steps for uploading a document, copy the URL for the uploaded document, and then paste in the URL in the External Link field on the Properties tab.)
- If your target page is outside of your section of the university website, or if you're linking to a document, you may want to use the checkbox to the right of the URL field to designate the link to open in a new browser window.
- Save/preview/publish your page.