In Memoriam

Willard “Will” Gee ’42, M.B.A.’48, P’65 passed away peacefully June 12. Will attended Lincoln High School and served as an anti-aircraft artillery captain in World War II. After a brief career with Day’s Tailored Clothing, he worked in sales management for the Weyerhaeuser Company for 23 years. In addition to earning his bachelor’s degree and M.B.A. at Puget Sound, Will spent a year as acting dean of the School of Business and served on the university’s faculty, alumni board, and board of trustees. He met the love of his life, Marian Wilkinson Gee ’43, when she worked as secretary for then President Franklin Thompson. The couple were married for 63 years. Will was a member of University Place Presbyterian Church and Oakbrook Golf & Country Club, and served on the Lakewood Incorporation committee. He enjoyed traveling with Marian, and playing golf, tennis, and bridge, and is survived by his three children, including David Gee ’65; seven grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

Harriet Cline Davis ’44 passed away May 31, at the age of 94. Born and raised in Tacoma, she graduated from Stadium High School. At Puget Sound she was a Phi Beta Patroness, and after graduation she did clerical work locally and in areas across the country. In 1945 Harriet married Daniel F. Davis. Active in every community of which she was a part, Harriet served on the board of the YMCA and swam in a synchronized swimming group. She enjoyed golf and was a member of the Junior League of Eugene (Ore.). In later years she played duplicate bridge, becoming a bronze life master. Harriet was preceded in death by her husband, sons, and one grandson. Her daughter, six granddaughters, and 10 great-grandchildren survive her.

Eileen “Taffy” Alexander Subak ’46 died May 28, at the age of 94. Eileen was active in Illinois Juvenile Justice and was a member of the League of Women Voters of Oak Park for more than 50 years. She is survived by her husband of 68 years, Carl Subak, son, and grandchildren.

Patricia Challman Noble ’48 passed away May 31, at the age of 92. A longtime resident of Washington, Patricia graduated from Stadium High School before attending College of Puget Sound. 

Harley Stell ’48, M.Ed.’68 died May 28. He was 96 years old. Born in Warren, Ark., Harley moved to Washington in 1942, where he met his wife, Ruth. The couple celebrated 71 years of marriage before Ruth’s death in 2014. Following his service in the Army during World War II, Harley worked at the Tacoma shipyards and completed his bachelor’s and Master of Education degrees at Puget Sound, where he was an Adelphian under Clyde Keutzer.  Harley taught vocal music for more than 30 years in Richland, Wash., and at Mount Tahoma and Wilson high schools in Tacoma, and served as minister of music at several churches in those communities. In retirement he enjoyed traveling the world, landscaping, fishing, and spending time with his family and “granddogs.” Harley is survived by four children and several grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Arthur Ervin “Erv” Pringle ’51 passed away in June 2016. Erv was born in Longview, Wash., and graduated from Bremerton High School before joining the Navy. He served as a radarman in Tsingtao, China, just after World War II and for many years in the reserves. In 1949 he married Violet Marie Peterson, and celebrated 57 years of marriage before her death in 2006. Erv worked as a salesman for Gerber Baby Food for 37 years until his retirement. He married Eileen Pratt in 2007, and together they enjoyed cruise ship adventures, Huskies football games, and Swedish pancakes.

Thomas Dahl ’52 died June 20, after a long battle with cancer. Born in Tacoma in 1929, Tom graduated from Stadium High School. He earned his bachelor’s degree in accounting and international business at Puget Sound, and later earned a master’s degree at University of Washington. Tom married Beverly Adams Dahl ’53 in 1953, and soon the couple moved to Peru, where he worked as an accountant for a mining company in the Andes Mountains. Upon returning to Washington, he taught junior high Spanish in West Seattle, and accounting and business classes at Kentridge High School. He retired from teaching in 1990, after 33 years. He was active with the Alki Masonic Lodge #152, Order of the Amaranth, Seattle Commandery No. 2, the Scottish Rite, the York Rite, Order of the Eastern Star, and the Nile Shriners Oriental Band. Tom enjoyed traveling, visiting more than 40 countries and traveling extensively throughout the United States. Survivors include Beverly, their three children and six grandsons.

Clinton Lee Hergert ’52 passed away on June 18. He was born in Seattle and grew up in Enumclaw, graduating from  Enumclaw High School and joining the United States Army Occupation Forces at the end of World War II. Upon his return to the States, Clint attended Puget Sound and University of Washington, marrying Patricia Anne Ness in 1950. A real estate entrepreneur, he started the Valley Land Office in Auburn, Wash., in the early 1950s, and became vice president of marketing at United Homes Corporation in 1962. Clint co-founded CHG International in 1971 and went on to become a major developer in Washington, Oregon, and Alaska. Feeling most comfortable at his “Green Acres” homestead, Clint enjoyed spending time with family and entertaining friends. He had a passion for sports, particularly local teams, and loved to travel to all corners of the world. In retirement he explored his German heritage, making sausage and brewing craft beers. Clint is survived by his wife and several siblings, children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.

Mary Jeanne Riviere Manguno ’52 died June 11, at the age of 86. A Tacoma native, Mary Jeanne graduated from Puget Sound with a degree in occupational therapy and immediately put her degree to use as an occupational therapist in the U.S. Army Air Corps. Following her service she moved to New Orleans, where she was a member of the faculty at Louisiana State University Medical Center and a volunteer with the Multiple Sclerosis Society. Survivors include her two daughters, Gianna and Marin; her sister; and her nephew. 

Joe Lee Peterson ’53 passed away peacefully on July 16. Joe was born in 1928 to one of the founding families of Port Orchard, Wash. His great-grandparents arrived by wagon train, eventually settling in what is now Port Orchard. After graduating from South Kitsap High School, he enlisted in the Marine Corps, serving two years before attending college at Washington State University. In 1949 he married Peggy Curran, and later was recalled into the Marines, serving honorably during the Korean War. Upon completion of his service, Joe enrolled at Puget Sound, earning a degree in education. He taught fifth-graders at Dash Point Elementary School and served as a health and physical education teacher and coach at Stewart Junior High and McIlvaigh Middle School. Joe was an avid outdoorsman, enjoying fishing, hunting, gardening, and camping. He is survived by his sister Mary Jane; daughters Debra and Cynthia; son James; and two grandchildren.

Gary Lee Aleshire Sr. ’58 died July 6, a week shy of his 83rd birthday. Gary graduated from Lincoln High School, known for his talent on the trombone, and became the first music instructor at Curtis Junior and Senior high schools. He also formed the first marching band to represent Curtis High School in the Daffodil Parade. A prolific musician Gary wrote and produced both the Curtis fight song and school pride song, organized the school’s first jazz band, and directed its first stage musical, Bye-Bye Birdie. Throughout the years he traveled to perform at numerous jazz festivals, and formed or performed with groups including Destiny City Jazz Band, The Traffic Jammers, The Playboys, The Elks, and more. Gary concluded his professional career as head finance director for the Tacoma-Pierce County Humane Society. He is survived by his four children, two stepchildren, and 13 grandchildren.

Alexander “Sandy” de Carteret ’59, P’85 died May 24. Born in Seattle and raised in Sumner, Wash., Alex excelled at  football and graduated from Sumner High School in 1950, before attending Puget Sound, where he continued his football career and earned a bachelor’s degree in education. Alex joined the service and, while stationed in Germany, was recruited to play football for the Army, and even played for the semiprofessional Seattle Ramblers team once his tour of duty was complete. During the 1960s he taught business education and coached swimming and football at R.A. Long High School in Longview, Wash. Under his guidance the football team gained a reputation for winning. In 1971 he joined the faculty at Hoquiam High School as a teacher and counselor, again finding success on the field, when he coached the Grizzlies to a second-place finish during the 1977 state football tournament. In addition Alex helped establish and volunteered to coach the girls’ track team. He retired from teaching and coaching in 1992, and in 2003, he was inducted into the Washington State Coaches Association Football Coaches Hall of Fame. Alex is survived by his wife, Joye; sons Scott and Todd ’85; five grandchildren; and a sister.

Barbara Jack ’60 died July 21, at the age of 79. She was born in Chehalis, Wash., and graduated from Stadium High School. While attending Puget Sound, Barbara met and married Norman B. Jack. The couple later moved to Kirkland, then Redmond, to raise a family. In 1969 Barbara began her professional career in direct sales, but realized her full potential as a trainer, mentor, and motivator. She built successful sales teams at Tupperware and DK Books, and served as president of both the Seattle chapter of the Women’s Business Exchange and the Northwest chapter of the National Speakers Association. Barbara is survived by her husband, two children, three grandchildren, and extended family members, who will remember her for her compassion and optimism.

Sheila Marie Quinn Pollack ’60 passed away May 31. Born and raised in Tacoma, she was the youngest of five sisters and attended school at St. Patrick’s, Bryant, and Aquinas Academy, where she was a cheerleader for Bellarmine. At Puget Sound Sheila was a member of the Chi Omega sorority and graduated with a degree in occupational therapy. While working as an intern and therapist with the VA hospital in Santa Monica, Calif., she met and married graduate student Khalid Khwaja, moving with him to Pakistan. After the birth of her daughter, Monica, Sheila returned to the  U.S. and settled in Old Town Tacoma, where she worked as an occupational therapist with disabled children. She  married Tacoma native Robert Pollock, and the family moved to Lakewood, where they remained until relocating to Browns Point in 1995. In addition to her career as an occupational therapist, Sheila was a successful travel agent and entrepreneur, owning and operating Quality Travel in University Place, Wash. Her sister, daughter, granddaughter, and two great-grandchildren survive her.

Ronald Terry Brown ’61 died May 30, at the age of 78. Born in Lancaster, Calif., Ron graduated from Stadium High  School in 1956. A motorcycle enthusiast he was a former member of the Ducks and current member of the South  Sound Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiasts club. He is survived by his wife, Marguerite; two children; and several grandchildren and great-grandchildren. 

Richard Allen Engels ’61 passed away July 13, due to complications of a stroke. Born in 1939 in Edmonds, Wash.,  Richard graduated from Edmonds High School before attending Puget Sound. An engaged learner who enjoyed being part of an academic community, he went on to study at University of Washington and pursued a Ph.D. at The University of Chicago, eventually working at both The University of Tennessee and Georgia Tech. As a demographer for the U.S. Census Bureau, Richard lived in many locations throughout the United States, as well as in Saudi Arabia and Oman. This fed his interest in real estate investment, which ultimately led him to develop and run a successful mini storage business in North Carolina. Richard was never happier than when he was on his boat or sitting beside the water, relaxing with family and friends. He had a deep love of animals and enjoyed sports of almost any kind, playing tennis until his passing. Survivors include his wife, Joni; four children and stepchildren; and several grandchildren.

Mary Ellen Hartle Tapp ’61 died peacefully May 26, at the age of 77. Mary was born in Seattle and graduated from Queen Anne High School. She was a member of the Alpha Phi sorority at Puget Sound. In 1960 she married Clifford Edward Tapp and settled in North Seattle, where they raised a family. Mary enjoyed an active career culminating in 17 years as executive secretary to four consecutive bishops of the Pacific Northwest Conference of the United Methodist Church. Upon her retirement in 2010, she was recognized with the Bishop’s Award for her service. Mary was active in her church and enjoyed boating, birdwatching, playing bridge, and spending time with her family and friends. Survivors include Cliff; children Doug and Marcia; and two grandchildren.

Marianne Lynn Ide ’62 passed away June 10. Born in Tacoma Marianne graduated from Stadium High School and attended Puget Sound before completing her degree at Washington State University. In 1963 she married James Ide ’66, and had two children. Later she returned to school to become an R.N., eventually finding her calling in home health and hospice care. Marianne traveled the country with her life partner, John Starwich, ultimately settling in Bremerton, Wash. She is survived by her brother, John; children Christine and Dennis; and three grandchildren.

Jeffrey Brotman ’64, Hon.’16 died Aug. 4, at the age of 74. A Tacoma native Jeff began his college career at Puget  Sound and completed his bachelor’s degree in political science at University of Washington, where he also earned his J.D. In 1982, with partner James Sinegal, Jeff established Costco Wholesale Corporation, ultimately expanding the company to hundreds of stores in eight countries over the next three decades. Also committed to philanthropy, Jeff was passionate about education and community engagement. He served on the University of Washington Board of Regents, and established scholarships through the College Success Foundation, Independent Colleges of Washington, Seattle University, and UW. He and his wife, Susan, were major supporters of Seattle Art Museum, Pacific Northwest Ballet, and United Way of Pierce County, among numerous other organizations. In 2016 Puget Sound awarded Jeff an honorary Doctor of Business degree. He is survived by Susan, their two children and grandchildren, and a brother.

Sidney Albert Olson ’64 passed away June 18, at the age of 75. Born in Detroit Lakes, Minn., Sid moved to Washington state when he was less than a year old, and was raised on Steilacoom Lake in Lakewood, Wash., graduating from Clover Park High School. At Puget Sound he was a member of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity and served in the Washington National Guard. While in graduate school, Sid married Elizabeth “Ann” Jones in 1965, and that same year began working in Seattle as an industrial engineer for Boeing, helping to start the 737 airplane program. In 1970 the couple moved to Olympia, and Sid took a position with the State Department of Social and Health Services, where he worked for more than 30 years as a planner, analyst, and manager. During this time he also worked with his dad and brothers in land development, construction, and apartment-complex management. Sid loved family gatherings and traveling throughout the U.S. and internationally. For more than 20 years, he and Ann were members and leaders of Soiree Dinner Dance Club, where they enjoyed dancing into their early 70s. An active Elder in The United Churches of Olympia, Sid worked part time as the organization’s bookkeeper after retiring from his position with the state. For the last 14 years, he was the part-time recording clerk of The Presbytery, retiring (again) in May. Ann, their two children and four grandchildren, and many members of Sid’s extended family survive him.

Bruce Orness ’67 died May 27, at the age of 72. Born and raised in Tacoma, Bruce was drawn to sports at a young age and played quarterback at both Puyallup High School and Puget Sound. He served as a teacher and coach for 32 years; his career included roles as varsity basketball coach at Franklin Pierce High School and assistant coach to his son, Scott, at Bainbridge High School. Survivors include his wife, Kristine Jensen Orness ’67; three children and  nine grandchildren; a sister; and the many students, teammates, neighbors, and friends who knew him.

James Julius Crosetto ’68 passed away June 3. He was 72. Jim was born in Tacoma and graduated from Woodrow Wilson High School in 1964, before attending Puget Sound, where he was a member of the Sigma Nu fraternity. He served in the Navy from 1969 to 1975, and enjoyed a successful career in banking and as a real estate appraiser for the next 40 years. Jim is survived by his wife, Marilyn, and their children and grandchildren.

Dennis Pizzimenti ’71 died July 17, at the age of 70. Dennis served in the Air Force and was stationed in Thailand and Vietnam. He graduated from Puget Sound with a degree in economics and received his law degree in the first graduating class from Franklin Pierce Law School in 1976. Dennis began his career as a public defender, then opened his own practice with partner David Immen in 1981. He retired after 30 years, traveling with his wife and high school sweetheart, Benette; volunteering for the Retired Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) in Concord, N.H.; and spending “Poppa time” with his granddaughter. Dennis loved spending time with close friends and family members, made everyone’s favorite lasagna, and was always ready with a joke. He was a member of the National Puzzlers’ League and thoroughly enjoyed running the board at Jeopardy! Dennis is survived by his wife; their daughter, Julia; grandchildren Frances and Silas; and two brothers.

Ernest Ray Smith ’71 passed away May 24, in Issaquah, Wash. He is survived by his wife, Robin; and children, Andrea and Tyler. Joseph Michael “Mike” Tiernan ’71 passed away at the age of 74. Mike graduated from Olympia  High School before attending Puget Sound, and served in the Army during the Vietnam War. Known for his sharp intellect, wit, and willingness to help anyone who crossed his path, Mike worked for more than 30 years in federal service. Survivors include his wife, Anne, their two daughters, and his two sisters.

Donald Ward ’71 died peacefully on July 6. He was 73. Don was born in Tacoma and graduated from Federal Way High School. After attending Puget Sound, he served in the Air Force, and was stationed in Germany during the Vietnam War. He married Trudeen Fowler in 1966, and together they raised two children in a home he designed and built. A longtime member of the Teamsters Union, Don retired from American Steel in 2004. He was an avid  fisherman, enjoyed restoring antique cars, and was known never to pass up a garage sale. Preceded in death by his daughter, Heather, Don is survived by his wife and son; his twin sister, Dawn, and brother, Archie; and his beloved dog, Reeba.

Mary Ellen Goos Armstrong ’72 died May 26, at the age of 67. Mary Ellen was born in Spokane, Wash., and  graduated from Cheney High School. She began her college career at Puget Sound, before completing her degree in education at Central Washington University and marrying Mark Armstrong in 1972. She worked briefly for the Social Security Administration before teaching second grade at Liberty Christian School in Richland, Wash., retiring after 20 years. Active at her church and a lover of games, Mary Ellen enjoyed playing the piano and flute, cooking, sewing, traveling, and spending time with her family. Survivors include her husband and children, her brother, and numerous cousins.

Linda Sundquist Jones ’73 passed away May 30. She was 65. Linda graduated from Mount Tahoma High School in 1969, before attending Puget Sound. She worked for several years in the operating room at Tacoma General Hospital, and later at the Pierce County Auditor’s Office. She is survived by her husband of 36 years, Ronald Jones; three children and several grandchildren; and other members of her extended family.

Lorraine Keniston ’73 died May 20, at the age of 96. Born and raised on her family homestead in Napoleon, N.D., Lorraine graduated from Napoleon High School as class salutatorian in 1939. After graduating from Valley City State Teaching College, she began her teaching career in a one-room schoolhouse, where she taught first- through eighth graders, often riding her horse to work. During World War II, Lorraine moved to Los Angeles and met a tall, blonde sailor, Dick Keniston, at a U.S.O. dance. Over the course of the war, they fell in love, and when the war ended, she met Dick in Tacoma, and the couple were married, making their home in Fircrest. Lorraine was a stay-at-home mom until she went back to school, finishing her “fifth year” and graduating from Puget Sound at the age of 52. She enjoyed a full career as an elementary teacher at several schools within Tacoma Public Schools. Survivors include her son and daughter, several grandchildren, and many nieces and nephews.

Richard Bryce Bannon ’74 died June 25, at the age of 71. Bryce was born and raised in Tacoma and graduated from Puget Sound with a bachelor’s degree in art and design. During the Vietnam War, he served as a dentalman in the Navy, and later worked as a reserve police officer on Indian Island, Wash. An art enthusiast and entrepreneur, Bryce owned and operated The Silent Brush art school in Chimacum, Wash., and a New Smyrna Beach, Fla., business as a master chair caner. He enjoyed sketching pictures of his children, studying history, reading, and collecting war memorabilia. Bryce is survived by his wife, Patricia, and their nine children, 27 grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.

Guy Gilbo ’75 died June 12, after a long battle with cancer. Born in the Emerald City, Guy graduated from Seattle’s Lincoln High School in 1965. Attending Puget Sound on a scholarship to play second base for the Loggers, he met Linda Giese at a dance at the Olympic Hotel, and the pair married in 1969. Guy enlisted in the Air Force and served honorably during the Vietnam War as an air cargo specialist and, later, as a staff sergeant. After completing his service, he returned to Tacoma to finish his degree in psychology. As a student he also was a member of the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity. He went on to work as an assistant director for the Seattle Rotary Youth Job Center and in international cargo for Continental Airlines. Guy and Linda shared a mutual love of art, music, and culture, traveling around the world throughout their lives, retiring to their dream beach bungalow on Whidbey Island in 2012. Guy is survived by Linda and their daughter, Lacey; a grandson; two siblings; and many close friends and family members.

Robert Becker ’77 died July 17. He was 62. The youngest of four brothers, Bob was born in Chehalis, Wash., and graduated from Adna High School before attending Puget Sound. He spent a year in the Netherlands as an  exchange student. In 1977 Bob married Cindy Schindler, with whom he had six children. He worked for many years in the logging industry and owned a sawmill. At the time of his death, he was working for the Thurston County Roads Department. Bob enjoyed spending time with his family, fishing, bowling, and gardening. Over the years he volunteered his time on several mission trips to help those in need. Bob leaves behind his wife, their children, six grandsons, and a brother.

Frank Edward Perry ’78 passed away Feb. 19, at the age of 87. Frank was born in Seattle, graduating from the city’s Lincoln High School before serving in the Army. In 1951 he became a trooper with the Washington State Patrol, and he and his wife, Alice, moved from Seattle to Bainbridge Island, where they raised their five children. He was promoted to sergeant in Cowlitz County in 1965, and relocated near Kelso, where the family hosted a foster child. Over the next decade, Frank continued to rise through the ranks, ultimately retiring as captain, overseeing King County and special projects, after 31 years of service. Frank and Alice retired to Arizona, where he enjoyed reading, playing card games, and volunteering with the Community Food Bank of Southern Arizona. He was preceded in death by his son, David. Survivors include Alice, four children, and several grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Lauren “Muff” Eising Jacox ’82 died June 9. She was 57. Born in Seattle Lauren graduated from The Bush School. At Puget Sound she studied international relations and French, and served as chapter president of the Gamma Phi Beta sorority. Seemingly fearless and intensely optimistic—despite a lifelong struggle with juvenile diabetes and its related complications—Lauren lived with high energy and great intention. She hiked through Switzerland and spent months biking across France. She married Mark Jacox in June 1989 and, five months later, was given a new lease on life as the recipient of a double organ transplant. In 1995 she accomplished something previously believed to be impossible: giving birth to her daughter, Madison. Lauren was a charter member of the Francis W. Nordstrom Guild, which supports Seattle Children’s Hospital and Regional Medical Center; she raised funds for and championed the Northwest Kidney Centers; and she lobbied for legislative health care change. Lauren leaves behind her husband and daughter; her parents, Peter and Sharlee, and sister, Robin; and an extended network of friends and family members.

Max Barry ’17 died July 29, at the age of 22. Born and raised in Nashville, Max attended Eakin Elementary School, West End Middle School, and Martin Luther King Jr. Academic Magnet High School before attending and graduating from University School of Nashville. At Puget Sound Max studied communications and occasionally DJed for KUPS. He had a passion for music (’90s hiphop, especially), and hoped to build a career in music and radio. Shortly after graduation Max moved to Denver to pursue some of his favorite pastimes, including skiing, mountain climbing, and being outdoors. He is survived by his parents, Megan, mayor of Nashville, and Bruce, a professor at Vanderbilt University; his dogs, Hank, Murray, Sherman, and Boris; and numerous family members and friends.