Commencement 2021 Health & Safety
Washington State now permits outdoor gatherings of this size provided that we modify the ceremonies in order to adhere to a number of guidelines designed to ensure the safety of participants.
- All graduates, faculty, and staff participants in Commencement will be seated 6-feet apart. Students will process onto Peyton Field via a single-line procession with 6-feet maintained between individuals, before taking their seats on Lower Baker Field. Each graduate will be allowed up to two guests. The two guests will be seated together as a pod with a 6-foot distance around them. Due to capacity limitations and in adherence to state guidelines, we are unable to accommodate additional guests.
- Pending accurate registration and rsvp counts from our students and their guests, the University may be in a position wherein additional seats could be reallocated to those seeking more than their two guest tickets. The ability to do so is contingent on the fullest rsvp and registration counts. If you do not plan to attend Commencement in-person, please inform us so that we might be in a position to accommodate others seeking additional tickets. If you know a classmate who does not intend to participate in-person, please encourage them to rsvp “no” to the in-person Commencement ceremony so that we can best plan within our capacity limitations. If we are able to accommodate more guests, the university will notify students who have rsvp’d they will attend the in-person ceremony with instructions on how to request additional tickets, pending an accurate registration count.
- Students will ascend the Commencement stage as their names are called. Regrettably, there will be no handshakes or hugs. The Platform Party that occupies the Commencement stage will be limited to ensure social distancing.
- Masks are required to enter the premises and participate in Commencement. This rule will apply to all students, faculty, staff, and guests regardless of vaccination status. Masks should be worn at all times while on the premises and only temporarily removed while drinking.
- No outside food or drink will be permitted in the Stadium or on the fields. Water will be available on-site for guests and graduates.
- Security will be at each entrance conducting bag checks.
- Tickets will be required for entry into the event. We must require that graduates and their guests are registered to attend in order to safely manage the regulated aspects of arrival, seating, and departure. Tickets will indicate specific entry location, specific arrival time to the venue, seating location, and specific exit location.
- Additional large video screens will be used on the fields to enhance visibility and viewability, and complement natural sight lines.
- There are 5 entrance/exit locations for Baker Stadium and Peyton Field. There are 4 entrance/exit locations for Lower Baker Field. Guests will enter and exit via the Baker Stadium and Peyton Field locations. Ticketed guests will enter and exit via the Baker Stadium and Peyton Field locations. Entrance and exit directions will be listed on your ticket.
- There will be portable restrooms located on the west end of Peyton Field.
- Medical aid will be on-site.
- All seating and surfaces will be sanitized between morning ceremony and afternoon ceremony.
- 11th Street will be closed to vehicles between North Lawrence and Union Ave.
- All bags are subject to search upon entry. We request no large bags or backpacks be brought into
Baker Stadium. The university has strict policies prohibiting weapons on campus. All bags, regardless
of size, are subject to search. For more information, visit pugetsound.edu/weaponspolicy.
- Parking will be distributed throughout campus. More information will be posted here, including maps and detailed instructions, and designated disability parking, once confirmed.
- No animals (except service animals).
- The ceremony will be captioned for guests seated near the stage on Peyton Field. There will be designated seats for guests with disabilities. If you have questions or accommodation needs, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.