Need Resume Help?

Need Resume Help?

The Federal/State Work-Study Employment Application now requires resume submission for all applicants. Feeling stuck on creating your resume? Walk through the process with a career advisor in the following video:

Watch the video

Federal and State Work-Study Employment

Not eligible for Federal or State Work-Study? Visit the Part-time Jobs page for information about University Work-Study jobs, which are open to all Puget Sound students, regardless of financial aid status.

Federal Work-Study (FWS) and State Work-Study (SWS) are need-based financial aid programs that assist students by providing an opportunity to earn money while gaining valuable work experience. Over 600 University of Puget Sound students participate in these programs each year by working on campus or in the local community. If your Financial Aid Award Notice includes FWS or SWS, you are eligible to earn up to the maximum amount listed on the award notice. Because these earnings are subject to a student’s desire and ability to work, Puget Sound cannot guarantee employment or 100% earnings.

After a FWS or SWS award is made by Student Financial Services, Career and Employment Services will refer you to a position on campus, or help you arrange an off-campus work-study job. On-campus work-study jobs are available in many departments and encompass a variety of skills and responsibilities. Most first-year students are referred to jobs on campus.  Off-campus, career-related work-study jobs require advanced skills and are suitable for students who have completed one or two years of study. Off-campus work-study jobs are available for Washington State residents only.

Checklist for New Students
Job Referral for New Students
On-Campus Work-Study Jobs
Important Details
Checklist for Continuing Students
Job Confirmation for Continuing Students
Off-Campus Work-Study Jobs
Important Details

 FWS/SWS Checklist for New Students [ Printable version]

Review job referral procedures for new students and student employment responsibilities and procedures.

Complete and submit the required Work-Study Employment Application no later than July 15 in order to be included in the academic year FWS/SWS program. Eligible students will be directed to this online application in mid-June. 

Be prepared to complete the required I-9 form—bring the necessary original documents (no copies) with you in the fall. (See page 9 of the I-9 form for a list of acceptable documents.)

Earnings from work-study employment are taxable. Review the W-4 form with your parents and know the number of allowances to claim.

Be prepared to enroll in Payroll Direct Deposit—bring your routing and account numbers from your financial institution.

Visit the Federal and State Work-Study Employment Table on check-in day to complete your I-9, W4, and Direct Deposit set-up form.

Attend a required Federal and State Work-Study information session during orientation week in August to receive your job referral.

If you are not interested in participating in the FWS/SWS program, notify Student Financial Services.

Job Referral Procedures for New Students
Freshman and transfer students need to complete and submit the required Work-Study Employment Application (WEA) no later than July 15. In mid-June, notification will be sent to eligible students from Career and Employment Services (CES) granting access to this application in PeopleSoft. The WEA process will require students to submit a resume and information about their skills, work experiences and job preferences. CES staff use this information to provide an on-campus job referral to an available position that best fits with each student's abilities and interests. Students will learn which job they are being referred to at a Federal and State work-study information session held during orientation week in August.

FWS/SWS Checklist for Continuing Students [ Printable version]

Review job confirmation procedures for continuing students and student employment responsibilities and procedures.   

Complete and submit the required Federal and State Work-Study Job Confirmation Form no later than July 15 in order to be included in the academic year FWS/SWS program. Access to this online form will be given to eligible students in June.

If you are a Washington State resident and interested in changing from on-campus employment to an off-campus work-study position, please state this preference on the form. Review off-campus work-study jobs.

If you are not interested in participating in the FWS/SWS program, notify Student Financial Services.

Job Confirmation Procedures for Continuing Students
Continuing students need to complete and return the required Work-Study Job Confirmation Form no later than July 15. It is necessary to return the form even if a job has been arranged, so that Career and Employment Services (CES) can confirm the position.

In June, eligible students will be given access to this online form.

If an FWS/SWS job was held on-campus during the previous academic year, in most cases that position will be renewed unless CES was notified that the student is not returning, or if the student obtained a new position during the Work-Study Referral Sessions in the spring. If the position is not renewed, CES staff will prepare an on-campus job referral to an available position based on the skills, abilities, and job preferences listed on the Work-Study Employment Application.

On-Campus FWS/SWS Jobs
Student staff members provide the equivalent of nearly 25% of non-faculty University employees on-campus each year. Their important work and valued contributions are essential to institutional success. Work-study jobs are available in a variety of campus departments and involve work ranging from administrative, technical, service, and maintenance support to advising, supervising, management, and program coordination positions. Most positions are for the entire academic year and require an average of 9 to 10 hours of work per week. The entry level rate of pay for on-campus jobs range from $11.15 per hour. The rate of pay for each position is determined by the degree of skill, experience, and judgment required for the job.

Students working on campus are required to complete the federal I-9 and W-4 forms. The federal I-9 form requires you to provide original documentation that verifies your eligibility for employment in the U.S. before you begin working. Most students bring to campus a Social Security card, birth certificate, or passport to complete the form.

Off-Campus SWS Jobs
Washington state residents have the opportunity to participate in the off-campus work-study program. What are the benefits?

Off-campus work-study jobs require an advanced level of training or skills, and are most suitable for upper-class students. Jobs are available at select employers, including community service organizations. Rates of pay are determined by employers and reflect comparable wage rates for the type of work performed. Most students employed through this program work an average of 10 hours and a maximum of 19 hours while enrolled in classes. Earnings from work-study employment are taxable.

Referrals to off-campus work-study jobs begin in mid-August. For a referral appointment, eligible students should call the Career and Employment Services office after August 1. During the referral appointment, students will review available jobs and obtain the necessary referral form. Students continuing in previously-held off-campus work-study jobs must also make an appointment. Students with an academic year award are expected to make a nine-month commitment to a job unless other arrangements are made in advance with the employer and Career and Employment Services.

Required Employment Forms

If you plan to work on (or off campus), bring necessary original documents to complete the required federal I-9 form. Most students will need a passport, Social Security card, or birth certificate to demonstrate their work eligibility. For tax purposes students will also need to be prepared to complete the federal W-4 form.

Most continuing students have already completed these forms with the college and are not required to re-complete them. However, if you are a continuing student who has gone abroad or did not work in the previous semester, then you may need to resubmit the I-9.

Work-Study Orientation

New students with Federal or State Work-Study eligibility are required to attend an information session during Orientation week.

This is where you'll receive your job referral.

You'll learn important information about the work-study program (how to ensure you receive your paycheck on time), and get tips about how to navigate the hiring process (some departments conduct formal interviews). Don't miss it!

Work-Study Tips

• FWS/SWS funding is limited, so apply on time!
• Indicate on the FAFSA that you want to be considered for work-Study.
• If Student Financial Services requests additional information from you, respond promptly.
• If you intend to continue with your academic year work-study employer over the summer, you must complete the Summer AFA. It’s short and easy to complete!
• Each spring, continuing students have the opportunity to explore employment options for the following academic year. CES invites eligible students to attend Federal and State Work-Study Referral Sessions to review available jobs, and obtain the necessary referral form.