FAQs for Parents and Guardians

What can I do to support my child if they are a victim of sexual misconduct?

  • While no one can tell you what is best for your child, there are several resources and guides to help you support a loved one who has disclosed this information to you. The U.S. Department of Justice provides information on what to do to support victims. Additionally, encouraging your child to meet with Student Conduct, or a confidential resource on campus (e.g. meeting with a counselor in Counseling, Health & Wellness, or meeting with the University Chaplain) can help your student receive information and options so that your child can make an informed decision on whether or not to pursue a conduct process at Puget Sound, pursue legal action through the Tacoma Police Department, or seek out resources to heal and feel safe on campus.

What can I do to support my child if they have been accused of sexual misconduct?

My child would like me to be involved and aware of the conduct proceedings for their sexual misconduct case. How can I be granted permission to information pertaining to their case?

  • Students’ records are protected under the Federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. If your child would like you to have information pertaining to a conduct proceeding and/or an incident of sexual misconduct that they have officially reported to the College, your student will need to contact the Office of the Dean of Students at 253.879.3360 or dos@pugetsound.edu to sign an Authorization for the Release of Information.