Transfer Information

Transfer credit may be evaluated for a matriculated student if that student has an official transcript provided to the University of Puget Sound either as part of the admission application or within one term of the completion of the course. Students are reminded that they, and they alone, must arrange for an official transcript to be sent. The confidentiality of a student’s academic record is protected by federal law and all colleges and universities direct students to submit transcript requests in writing.

Additionally, students are obligated to inform the university regarding previous or concurrent attendance at any other institution of higher education. Failure to do so is grounds for refusal of any possible transfer credit and dismissal from the university.

Transfer Credit Evaluation Policy
The University of Puget Sound will consider transferring credit for a course offered by a regionally accredited, or similarly qualified, institution of higher education if that course:

  1. Is sufficiently similar to a course in the curriculum of the University of Puget Sound; or
  2. Is in a liberal arts discipline; or
  3. Is a scholarly approach to the topic; or
  4. Is appropriate for inclusion in a Puget Sound degree as determined by the appropriate academic officer.

These qualifications are the criteria a transfer credit evaluator will use in making a judgment about the transferability of a course from another institution. Additionally, these criteria exclude the following types of courses from transferring:

  1. Vocational or technical courses
  2. Remedial or retraining courses
  3. Personal development, human potential, or coping skills courses
  4. Courses designed for individuals who have completed a degree or certificate and who want to upgrade their occupational or professional skills, to acquire new skills, or to prepare for a proficiency examination. Such courses are commonly identified under such classifications as professional development, in-service education, or continuing education.
  5. Courses in professional disciplines not supported by the university. The professional disciplines supported by the university are:
    A. Business Administration
    B. Education (graduate level)
    C. Engineering (3-2 Engineering Program)
    D. Occupational Therapy (graduate level)
    E. Physical Therapy (graduate level)
    F. Public Administration
  6. Courses that instruct in doctrine or ideology.

The university reserves the right to limit the transferability of a course based on the source of credit, the method of instruction, or the duration of the term.

Back to Top

Credit Limits

  1. Transfer Credit
    An undergraduate degree requires a minimum of 32.00 units, at least 16.00 of which must be earned at the University of Puget Sound. Therefore, transfer students are normally limited to 16.00 units of transfer credit. Puget Sound will accept up to a maximum of 16.00 units (64 semester hours or 96 quarter credits) from an accredited community college. Once a student has earned 16.00 units total, that student is not eligible to transfer credit from a community college.
  2. College Credits Earned Prior to High School Graduation
    College credits earned prior to high school graduation may transfer to Puget Sound if the credits are earned in regularly scheduled college classes taught on a college campus. Such courses must be more advanced in the discipline than courses normally offered at the high school level. In order to be eligible for transfer, the college courses must be composed primarily of degree-seeking college students and must be described in the college bulletin or catalog.

    Most high school students require four years of college preparatory work in order to succeed at Puget Sound. High school students who take college courses that are essentially replacements for courses available in their high schools are viewed as doing their college preparatory work outside the high school, rather than accumulating baccalaureate-level credits. Introductory level courses taken at a college instead of at the high school would be viewed as college preparatory, and would not generate baccalaureate transfer credits at Puget Sound.

    However, students who have completed a course or sequence of courses offered at their high schools and who go on to do at a college more advanced work than their high school offers may earn baccalaureate transfer credits while in high school. Examples of situations in which high school students might go beyond college-preparatory work to do college-level work are foreign language study beyond the level offered in the high school and mathematics study beyond the level offered in the high school.

    College credits earned prior to high school graduation are therefore evaluated on a case by case basis to determine whether or not they apply to a Puget Sound baccalaureate degree. High school students planning to enroll at Puget Sound should consult with the Office of Admission before enrolling in courses at a college.

    The university does not award transfer credit for “college-in-the-high-school” courses.

  3. Activity Credit
    The maximum activity credit allowed within a degree program is 2.00 units.
  4. Work Experience
    Work experience credit earned through courses in practicum, internship, or co-operative education programs may be transferable to a maximum of 2.00 units, subject to transfer evaluation criteria.
  5. Credit-By-Examination
    The University of Puget Sound does not offer examinations for the purposes of awarding credit but does recognize two credit-by-examination programs:      A.  Advanced Placement (AP) Examinations.
         B.  International Baccalaureate (IB) Examinations.

    The scores required and credit awarded for specific AP and IB examinations are listed on the university’s website and may be found by searching for “Advanced Placement Policy” or “International Baccalaureate Policy.”

    A student may receive a maximum of 8.00 total units earned through the AP or IB Examinations, and credit will not be awarded for two examinations in a similar subject .

    Advanced Placement Examination Credit
    The university may grant 1.00 or 2.00 units of lower-division credit for an Advanced Placement (AP) Examination passed with a score of 4 or 5. Up to 8.00 units may be allowed based on AP scores if the student presents no other credit-by-examination results. AP credits do not apply to Core Requirements.

    The university’s goal in allowing credit for AP Examination results is to award students a fair amount of credit for their advanced study in high school as indicated by their examination results; to ensure that students are placed in the next appropriate course, should they continue to study in that discipline; and to direct students into courses that will supplement their academic achievement in high school.

    If a student who has received credit for an AP Examination takes the equivalent University of Puget Sound course, that student’s AP credit will be replaced by university credit. In addition, some departments place special conditions on AP Examinations in order for them to be applied toward a major or minor. (See also the section titled Redundancy Policy.)

    Back to Top

    International Baccalaureate Credit
    The university will grant 1.00 unit of lower-division credit for each International Baccalaureate (IB) Higher Level Examination passed with a grade of 5, 6, or 7. Additionally, 1.00 unit of lower-division credit will be granted for the Theory of Knowledge, if a student has earned the IB diploma. Up to 6.00 units may be allowed based on IB scores if the student presents no other credit-by-examination results that might otherwise exceed the limit of 8.00 units for credit-by-examination. Similar to AP credits, IB credit does not apply to Core Requirements, is subject to replacement if a student registers for an equivalent Puget Sound course, and may be subject to special conditions before an academic department will apply it to a program. (See also the section titled Redundancy Policy.)

  6. Repeating a Course
    A course taken at the University of Puget Sound may be repeated at another institution provided the student is eligible to attend the other institution, has selected a course approved for transfer by an evaluator in the Office of the Registrar, and has the specific permission of the appropriate department. (A department may require that a course be repeated only at Puget Sound.) If a Puget Sound course is repeated at another institution, and if the grade earned elsewhere is the higher of the two, the Puget Sound grade will be removed from the grade point average, but the transfer grade will not be computed in the grade point average. Credit for the Puget Sound course will be removed and replaced by the transfer credit, even if there is a difference between the two. It is also possible to repeat at Puget Sound a transfer course taken elsewhere. A student who has transferred a course to Puget Sound may repeat that course at Puget Sound by taking its equivalent, as listed on either an official Puget Sound Transfer Evaluation or an official Puget Sound Transfer Evaluation Request.
  7. Independent Study
    Credit for Independent Study may transfer, but the decision to do so may be based on an evaluation of an Independent Study contract/agreement or the finished Independent Study project. Regardless of credit source, no more than 4.00 units of Independent Study are acceptable toward a baccalaureate degree and no more than 2.00 units toward a graduate degree. Independent Study may not be applied to University Core Requirements.
  8. Academic Pass/Fail
    Courses graded pass/fail may transfer within the limit of no more than 4 academic courses taken pass/fail (either as mandatory pass/fail or with the pass/fail grading option) can apply to a baccalaureate degree. Such courses do not apply to the University Core Requirements, the Upper-Division Graduation Requirement, the Foreign Language Graduation Requirement and may not apply to major or minor requirements.

    Activity courses graded pass/fail may transfer and are included in the limit of applying no more than 2.00 units of activity credit toward a baccalaureate degree.

  9. Self-Paced Study and Distance Education
    No more than a combined total of 4.00 units of self-paced study (e.g., correspondence, programmed text, or telecourse) or distance education (e.g., online and electronic) courses are accepted in transfer. Such courses do not apply to University Core Requirements or to the Foreign Language Graduation Requirements. These courses will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis for consideration for transfer. Students requesting credit for self-paced or distance education courses may be required to provide a course syllabus or course outline to the Transfer Evaluator in the Office of the Registrar.

    Courses combining elements of self-paced or distance education with reduced on-campus instruction are also subject to this policy.

  10. Extension
    The transferability of a course offered through an institution’s “extension program” will be determined based on content and method of instruction. Extension courses designed for specialized professional or personal interest are not transferable.
  11. Core Requirements

    In order to fulfill a University Core Requirement, an eligible transfer course must be worth at least 3 semester credits or 4 quarter credits at the original institution and must be equivalent to a Core course at Puget Sound (for the Natural Scientific Approaches, a course must have a regular, formal, laboratory component). Additionally, courses used to complete Core Requirements may not be graded pass/fail and may not be completed through distance, self-paced, online, or independent study.  Appropriate course sequences which, when combined, total at least 3 semester credits or 4 quarter credits may be accepted.

Back to Top

Grade Point Calculation
Transfer courses do not enter into the University of Puget Sound grade point average as listed on a student’s transcript. However, a student must have a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.00 for the combination of all Puget Sound and all transfer courses. The same grade point average requirements apply to all courses used in a major, minor, or program. If a Puget Sound course is repeated at another institution, and if the grade earned elsewhere is the higher of the two, the Puget Sound grade will be removed from the grade point average, but the transfer grade will not be computed in the Puget Sound grade point average. Credit for the Puget Sound course will be replaced by the transfer credit, even if there is a difference between the two.

Back to Top

Concurrent Enrollment
A matriculated student may not be enrolled at the University of Puget Sound and another institution at the same time during the same term. An exception may be made, when appropriate, by the Academic Standards Committee in response to a petition submitted by the student prior to the intended concurrent enrollment.

Back to Top

Institutional Accreditation and Transfer Credit
Academic credit from an institution of higher education may transfer if that institution is accredited by one of the seven regional accrediting associations. However, Puget Sound reserves the right to accept only those courses and credits that the university considers appropriate for inclusion in a degree. Additionally, the university reserves the right to distinguish transfer courses based on the source of the instruction. That is, if an institution assigns credit to a course in which the instruction was provided by an agency that was distinct from the institution, the university may evaluate that transfer credit separately.

Similarly, if an institution is not accredited by a regional accrediting association but is accredited by a national or professional association, the university may consider the nature of that accrediting association along with the content of the transfer course when making a transfer evaluation.

Undergraduate transfer of credit from “candidate status” unaccredited institutions may be recognized formally after successful completion of 8.00 units at Puget Sound. Transfer credit for graduate degree programs must be from an accredited institution and approved by the director of graduate study. Bachelor’s degrees from “candidate status” institutions are recognized as acceptable for admission to graduate programs.

Courses offered by unaccredited institutions may satisfy major or minor requirements in some cases at the discretion of the department. However, such credits will not count toward the minimum 32.00 units required for graduation. Degrees from unaccredited institutions are not recognized as bachelor’s degree equivalents for entry into the graduate program or for any other purpose.

Puget Sound reserves the right to not recognize the actions of a regional accrediting association outside of its geographical jurisdiction. A list of the regional associations or accredited institutions may be obtained from the Office of the Registrar (Jones Hall, room 013).

Back to Top

Transfer Rights and Responsibilities

The University of Puget Sound endorses the rights and responsibilities regarding transfer students as established by the Washington Higher Education Coordinating Board.

     Student Right and Responsibilities

  1. Students have the right to clear, accurate, and current information about their transfer admission requirements, transfer admission deadlines, degree requirements, and transfer policies that include course equivalencies.
  2. Transfer and freshman-entry students have the right to expect comparable standards for regular admission to programs and comparable program requirements.
  3. Students have the right to seek clarification regarding their transfer evaluation and may request the reconsideration of any aspect of that evaluation.  In response, the college will follow established practices and processes for reviewing its transfer credit decisions.
  4. Students who encounter other transfer difficulties have the right to seek resolution.  Each institution will have a defined process for resolution that is published and readily available to students. (At the University of Puget Sound, students may seek resolution through a petition to the Academic Standards Committee.)
  5. Students have the responsibility to complete all materials required for admission and to submit the application on or before the published deadlines.
  6. Students have the responsibility to plan their courses of study by referring to the specific publishes degree requirements of the college or academic program in which they intend to earn a bachelor's degree.
  7. When a student changes a major or degree program, the student assumes full responsibility for meeting the new requirements.

     College and University Rights and Responsibilities

  1. Colleges and universities have the right and authority to determine program requirements and course offerings in accordance with their institutional missions.
  2. Colleges and universities have the responsibility to communicate and publish their requirements and course offerings to students and the public, including information about student transfer rights and responsibilities.
  3. Colleges and universities have the responsibility to communicate their admission and transfer related decisions to students in writing (electronic or paper).

Back to Top

 Transfer Verification Form
A student wishing to take a course at another institution should obtain written verification of the transferability of that course using a Transfer Evaluation Request form. Questions about this form can be directed to the Office of the Registrar [Jones Hall room 013; 253.879.2653].

Back to Top