Academic Advising

A degree-seeking undergraduate student is expected to have an academic advisor. If an advisor is needed, one will be assigned by the Office of Academic Advising [Howarth Hall, room 114; 253.879.3650]. An advisor permission code is required for fall and spring registration of undergraduates. Although an advisor permission code is not required for summer registration, consultation with the advisor is recommended.

In the event of the temporary unavailability of the assigned advisor, the student should first consult with the department chair. If the chair is not available, the advisor permission code may be obtained from the Director of Academic Advising. It is then the student’s responsibility to inform the assigned advisor of the action.

Change of Advisor
To secure a new advisor, the student should complete a “Change of Advisor/Major” form in the Office of Academic Advising. A student may also request a new advisor online through Cascade Web.

Declaring a Major
A student who has 12 or more units is expected to declare a major. (A student with fewer than 12 units may declare a major and consultation with the Director of Academic Advising is recommended, but not required, before doing so.)

To declare a major, a student may complete a Change of Advisor/Major form in the Office of Academic Advising or may enter a change through the student’s Cascade account.

When a student selects a major, the student must choose (or have already been assigned) an advisor from the major department or program. A student may have more than one advisor, as in the case of double majors, but only the student’s primary advisor may issue the advisor’s access code in preparation for registration.

A student also has the option of selecting a secondary advisor to assist in planning for a minor, a special program, or for other academic matters.

Declaring a Minor
Academic minors may be declared either in the Office of Academic Advising or through Cascade Web. A student pursuing a minor is advised to consult with a faculty member in the minor area to assist with appropriate course selection and the student has the option of selecting a secondary advisor for assistance.