Ignoring sexual harassment and assault won't make it go away. Silence is interpreted as condoning the behavior.
Share with others what you have learned!
Campus Safety Tips
- Don't prop open outside doors. Always lock your room door.
- Use the campus escort service offered 24/7 by Security Services. (253.879.3311)
- If you drink, limit your use of alcohol.
- Trust your instincts, even if it seems awkward.
- Be firm and direct.
- Do not make assumptions about another's consent to physical contact.
- Make sure your messages (both verbal and nonverbal) are clear and consistent.
- Use the buddy system. Make sure a friend knows where you are.
- Watch out for other's safety.
- Monitor parties - Does anyone seem uneasy?
How Can You Help?
- Interrupt a situation that appears to be headed in the wrong direction, even if you risk angering a friend.
- Arrange a signal with a friend for assistance.
Avoid Contributing to the Problem
- Do not make light of assault or harassment by sharing inappropriate jokes, stories, or comments.
- Do not laugh at jokes, stories, or comments about assault or harassment.
- Ask others not to say these things around you.