B-GLAD is Puget Sound's Queer/Straight Alliance. We work to make the campus a safe and accepting place for all people regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity or perceived orientation or gender identity. B-GLAD is a political and social club. We welcome all who are interested. Join us Tuesdays at 6pm in the Student Diversity Center.
On-Campus Activities (2009-2010)
- Weekly Meetings Tuesdays, 6pm at the SDC
- Queer 101 Panels One gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, ally and queer or questioning student describe their coming out process, life on campus and answer any questions that may be asked. Usually held in a residence hall or campus-wide venue
- Queer History Month (QHM) Activities vary from year to year, but a staple is National Coming Out Day. B-GLAD tables in Wheelock Student Center with our infamous lavender door for participants to come out through. Everyone is encouraged to come out as something (from their sexual orientation or gender identity to knowing all the lyrics of "Wannabe" by the Spice Girls). Another staple is the Gay of the Day Calendar highlighting famous queers on each day of October.
- Documentary viewing and talk with UMeth
- Screening of documentary with discussion led by David Syner
- 2009 Transgender Day of Remembrance Memorial
- The Flaming Chef Diaries Live Readings by Author Jason Zenobia
- Sexual Violence in the Queer Community Presentation/Discussion at Take Back the Night
- Drag 101 Workshop
- Day of Silence We participate in the National Day of Silence campaign to end the silence around LGBTQI issues.
- Drag Show Extremely popular annual event featuring professional and student Drag Kings and Queens. The show raises funds for the LGBTQIA Leadership Scholarship.
- Seattle Pride
- Tacoma's Out in the Park
- Pierce County AIDS Walk
- Referendum 71 Support
- Capitol Hill Trip
LGBTQIA Leadership Scholarship
The Puget Sound LGBTQIA Endowed Leadership Scholarship was established in 2000 to recognize students who have demonstrated leadership and involvement in the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer community at Puget Sound, including, but not limited to participation in B-GLAD, community organizing and activist groups. The purpose of the scholarship is to complement successful academic experiences by providing financial support for student leadership and involvement in the LGBTQIA community at Puget Sound. Please see LGBT Leadership Scholarship for more information about the scholarship.
Save the Date!
B-GLAD's annual Drag Show will be Friday, April 8th at 7pm in Marshall Hall. Tickets are $4 for students and $6 for community members if purchased in advance. Door prices are $5 for students and $7 for community members. All ticket profits go toward the LGBTQ Leadership Scholarship at Puget Sound.
The club officers for the 2010-2011 academic year are Co-Presidents Lana McMullen and Liam Parker.
Scroll through the photo gallery at the top of the page by clicking on the arrows and see all the various activities B-GLAD has participated in.