Student Diversity Center (SDC)
The SDC offers student success through development of programs that honor the wide range of students' ethnicities, races, genders, religions, and sexual orientations; collaboration among student groups; and integration of students into the campus learning community.
The Center promotes students':
- Informed engagement with self and others in order to build a community of civility and respect as a part of humanity in the world
- Understanding of differences and commonalities
- Responsible and engaged citizenship in an increasingly global and multicultural world
The Student Diversity Center conducts student-directed activities featuring groups that historically have been underrepresented in higher education and/or at the University of Puget Sound. All students at Puget Sound are welcome to participate in Center-sponsored activities.
The objectives of the Center are to:
- Provide a supportive environment in which to gather informally as well as a resource library and study and meeting space
- Sponsor programs designed to strengthen students' abilities to live in harmony in our increasingly diverse campus and world
- Advocate pride and promote community among the groups
- Maintain a monthly calendar of activities sponsored and/or endorsed by the groups
- Educate the entire campus about these groups and their issues by sponsoring programs and lectures and by supporting Diversity Theme Year and other special events
- Foster cooperation and communication with campus and Tacoma community groups
The Diversity Center Library is open during hours when the Center is staffed by one of the coordinators. Call to check if someone is available to help you with any questions. Books are available for check out for up to two weeks.
Learn more about SDC By-Laws, including Governance & Staffing, Membership and Budget.
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
Noon - 10 p.m.
If you would like to reserve the Student Diversity Center for a group or meeting, please contact us at x4044 or email@example.com. Reservations are made on a first-come, first-served basis.
Previous Programs & Activities
Asian Awareness Month
AIDS Awareness Day
Black History Month
Cinco de Mayo
Diversity Game Nights
Hispanic Heritage Month
Identity and Privilege Forums
Jewish Theme Month
Martin Luther King Jr. Day
National Coming Out Day
Women's History Month