Graduates of Color Celebration
The 2012 Graduates of Color Celebration recognizes the paths that led our talented students to Puget Sound and honors their diverse journeys to a successful completion of their studies. These graduates join us at this celebration, together with those who nurtured them, caught them when they stumbled, encouraged them, struggled with them, taught them, learned from them, were inspired by their determination, and now applaud their victories.
This ceremony honors graduates whose color is an important aspect of their heritage, identity, experiences of difference, disparity, and division, their families and communities, and their pride. This ceremony recognizes each graduate as a unique person with multiple identities, mixed heritages, a plentitude of talents and strengths, and diverse communities. Being circumscribed by the color line has neither submerged nor delimited the diversity among these graduates; rather it has rendered each aspect of themselves which they have learned to hold together miraculous and precious.
Past Speakers & Keynotes include:
- 2012 Keynote by Yusuf Word, '09
- 2011 Keynote Address by Antonio Gomez, '93
- 2010 Keynote Address by Jill Nishi '89, University Trustee
- 2010 Speeches by Jimmy Ivory '10, Drew Shannon '10 and Grace Livingston, Ph.D.
- 2009 Speeches by Nikki Wright '09 and Tashi Chogyal '09
- 2007 Speeches by Pooja Bhattacharyya '07 and Tyesha Green '07
- 2007 Student Singer Lauren Furuya '07
- 2006 Keynote Address by Nancy Bristow, Ph.D.
- 2006 Speeches by Twina Franklin '06, Leiana Jagolino '06 and Lars Mitsuda '06
- 2005 Speeches by Casey Baulne '05 and Demetria Batdorf '05
- 2004 Speeches by Jessica Humann '04, Eric Mwiti '04 and Kelly Tran '04
- 2003 Speeches by Melissa Dutton '03 and Jenny Saiki '03