You can quit and live a tobacco-free life!
- Investigate the quitting options (cold turkey, cutting back/tapering, use of nicotine replacement therapy, use of Zyban, use of support programs).
Set a quit date and create an action plan.
- Consider your support systems and how you will utilize them.
- Begin to separate your tobacco use from daily rituals (i.e. use tobacco mindfully and independent of other activities).
- Plan alternative activities to help manage cravings and to substitute for the tobacco use ritual.
- Set up ways to reward yourself for quitting (ex: the money saved on tobacco products could be used towards a favorite hobby/activity).
Support is available!
- Talk to a CHWS health provider or counselor.
- Call the Tacoma-Pierce County Quit Line at 253.798.4743 or 1.800.QUIT.NOW, or visit www.quitline.com for a Self-help Quit Kit.
Become politically active.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared May 31 as "World No-Tobacco Day."
- Learn about the business practices of the tobacco industry.