University of Puget Sound
We, the members of the Mike Segawa Chapter of the National Residence Hall Honorary, in order to honor and recognize outstanding members of the residence hall system, and to promote a higher quality of involvement and interaction in the residence hall community do hereby establish and uphold this constitution.
The name of this organization shall be the Mike Segawa Chapter of the National Residence Hall Honorary at the University of Puget Sound. Hereafter, the organization will be referred to as NRHH.
Article II- Purpose
The purpose of this organization shall be to provide recognition for students who have exuded outstanding service and/or exceptional leadership in promoting the residence hall system. The chapter will encourage residence hall involvement and educational programs. Through these stated purposes, the NRHH will strive to improve the quality of residence life on the University of Puget Sound Campus. NRHH is a leadership-based honorary comprised of exemplary residential students who value recognition and service.
Article III- Membership
Section A - Types of Membership
Section B – Qualifications for Membership
An active member of an NRHH Chapter is one that has been inducted into the Chapter and is currently living in on-campus housing. Temporary leaves from on-campus housing such as, but not limited to, co-ops, internships, or study abroad, will not affect the individual’s active status of NRHH. In the case of a temporary leave, the NRHH member should notify the Chapter president in writing detailing the reason for and duration of the temporary leave. An individual being inducted as an active member must:
a. Must currently live on the University of Puget Sound campus in a residence hall or campus owned house.
b. Have completed at least two semesters (including the current semester) of service to residence halls and have completed at least one semester of service at the University of Puget Sound.
c. Must have at least two remaining semesters left to complete at the University of Puget Sound.
d. Must be a full time student, as defined by the Registrar’s office.
e. Possess a minimum cumulative 2.75 GPA.
f. Must not currently be on conduct or academic probation at University of Puget Sound.
g. Active members shall be selected through a selection process, described in Article III, Section D, of this constitution.
2. Alumni Membership
Alumni members are former active members no longer attending the University of Puget Sound or who have moved out of the residence halls.
3. Early Alumni Members
a. Early Alumni members are members not fulfilling the qualifications and/or expectation of an active member.
b. Chapter members must have worked to get all members actively involved before someone can be reviewed for early alumni membership.
c. Early alumni members must complete appropriate paperwork and receive approval from the chapter and the regional level to be changed.
d. Once receiving approved early alumni status, members no longer count towards the member cap for University of Puget Sound.
e. A member with Early Alumni status may move back to active status at the approval of the active membership of the chapter. Upon approval, the chapter will notify the regional level.
Section C - Membership Cap
1. Membership in NRHH is limited to 1% of the total resident population at University of Puget Sound as determined by Residence Life or twenty (20) members; whichever is larger, not exceeding total membership of 1%. This limit shall determine the number of spaces open to the selection process.
2. There is no limit on the number of Alumni or Early Alumni members.
3. The number of honorary members a chapter shall be able to induct per academic year will not exceed 10% of the chapter's membership cap.
Section D – Selection of New Members
1. Selection Process
Section E – Removal of Members
Section F – NRHH Membership Transfer Policy
Article IV -Executive Board
Section A – Overview
1. The officers of NRHH shall be the President, Vice-President, Treasurer, and Secretary.
2. The advisor of NRHH shall be a professional staff member designated by Residence life at the University of Puget Sound. A co-advisor may be appointed at the discretion of the department.
Section B – Qualifications for Executive Board
1. Must be an Active member in NRHH and meet all requirements for active membership.
2. All Executive Board Members must have been an active member in NRHH for at least one semester at University of Puget Sound, unless there is no one to fill a vacancy.
3. May not hold any office in RSA or other campus Executive Board, without prior permission from the current NRHH Advisor.
Section C – Officers and Duties
1. The President of NRHH shall:
2. The Vice President of NRHH shall:
3. The Treasurer of NRHH shall:
4. The Secretary of NRHH shall:
6. The Advisor(s) of NRHH shall:
Section D - Election of Officers
1. The Executive Officers shall be elected during the first general meeting after Spring Selection
2. Officers shall take office at the last meeting of the semester.
3. The term of office shall be from Spring Selection to the following Spring Selection of the next year.
4. Election Process:
Elections shall take place in the following order: President, Vice-President, Treasurer, and Secretary.
5. Should no qualified candidate accept nomination by the end of the election process, the new executive board shall hold interviews and appoint an officer.
Section E- Removal of Officers
1. Grounds for impeachment of the officers of NRHH shall be:
a. Misfeasance- the performance of a lawful action in an illegal or improper manner
b. Malfeasance- wrongful conduct especially by a public official
c. Nonfeasance- failure to perform the assigned
2. Any active member may move for the impeachment of an Executive Board member.
3. The member recommending the impeachment of an Executive Board member must submit a written statement to the President, or the highest-ranking officer not accused, consisting of reasons for removal and the signatures of 20% of the current active voting membership. A copy of this statement shall be delivered to the Executive Board member in question and the Advisor at least one week prior to the statement’s presentation at the next general meeting.
4. In order for the impeachment proceedings to proceed, the matter of impeachment must be presented at the next general meeting. The President, or the highest-ranking officer not accused, must call a special meeting. This meeting must be approved by a simple majority of the voting membership. The meeting must occur within one week of the general meeting and may be held concurrently with the general meeting.
5. The Executive Board member in question may speak to the general membership on his/her behalf and may present any witnesses he/she desires.
6. A 2/3 majority of active voting members present is required to remove a person.
7. Any impeached officer can be reinstated by a 4/5 vote of the active membership.
Article V - Parliamentary Procedures
1. All rules of parliamentary procedure shall be decided by the chair’s interpretation of Robert’s Rules of Order, Newly Revised.
2. Quorum for all meetings, except where otherwise noted, shall be 50% of the active membership.
Article VI – Ethical Considerations
1. Members of the NRHH are free to leave or dissociate without fear of retribution or harassment.
2. NRHH will not deny consideration for membership to any student because of gender, race, religion, creed, national origin, ability level, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Article VII – Affiliations
1. NRHH shall be a dues-paying member of the National Association of College and University Residence Halls (NACURH).
2. NRHH shall remain in good standing with the National NRHH and the National Association of College and University Residence Halls (NACURH).
Article VIII – Amendments
1. Any amendments to this Constitution must be announced and presented to the NRHH membership at least one week prior to the meeting at which it will be voted on.
2. Amendments must be presented in writing at the meeting.
3. Any amendments must pass by a ¾ vote of active members present.
Article IX – Constitution
1. This constitution shall replace all previous constitutions of the Mike Segawa chapter of NRHH at University of Puget Sound.