New Candidate Process
New candidates are students applying for a Residence Life position who are not currently on the Residence Life team and have never been an Resident Advisor, Resident Community Coordinator, Resident Programming Assistant, or Greek House Coordinator.
Thank you for your interest in applying for a position on the Residence Life Student Staff team at the University of Puget Sound. Staff Selection is an extensive and thorough process; applications will be reviewed to assure that everyone continuing through the selection process meets the minimum qualifications. Final offers for Residence Life will be sent via email. To be considered, you must complete the New Candidate Application. If you are interested in being a Greek House Coordinator, please visit the GHC information page for specifics for that. You are welcome to complete both if you are interested in holding either position. However, the rest of this page applies only to RA, RPA, or RCC positions.
- Submit completed New Candidate Application to the Residence Life office (3209 N 15th) by 5pm on January 30, 2015. You will sign up for your Group Process when you hand in your application.
- Group Process: The group interview is a three-hour group session held on either Tuesday, February 3 or Wednesday, February 4 from 6:00 to 9:00pm in Thompson Hall, during which you will work with multiple candidates in a variety of group exercises. Each exercise will be facilitated by a member of the Residence Life Professional Staff and be observed by current student team members. You will sign up for your individual interview at Group Process.
- Individual Interviews: Individual interviews will be thirty minutes long, held on Thursday, February 12 or Friday, February 13, between 2pm and 7pm in the Residence Life office. This interview will be conducted by two team members of Residence Life.
- Prepare your personal expression project to bring with you and share during your individual interview. (Instructions are included on the following page).
- Final decisions will be made by Friday, February 20 via email.
Tips on Submitting a Well-Prepared Application
- Talk to current staff about their experience before preparing your application.
- Make sure you allow enough time for references to complete your recommendation forms! We suggest giving staff a two-week time frame.
- Have a friend review your essays for grammar errors and content feedback. Or, read your paper out loud - mistakes are often easier to hear than see!
- Be sure to submit your application on time!
- Utilize our Resume and Cover Letter Guide.
- Attend the Residence Life Mixer and one of the Info Nights.