A conversation
between Loggers
At this summer’s reunion
Peter Norman ’63
back for his 50th, and
Allison McCurdy
Kalalau ’03, M.A.T.’04
here for her 10th,
sat together for an hour or so on a bench in the
West Woods and talked about their lives and
their times on campus, 40 years apart. We
Your 50th reunion. Wow.
I was here for only three years. When I finished
high school at Stadium I didn’t know what I was go-
ing to do. A lot of my buddies were going to college,
and I said, “What are you going to study?” And they
said, “Well, we don’t know. We don’t have to declare
a major until our junior year.” I said, “I can’t stand the
thought of spending money and not knowing what it
The Class of ’63
Back for their 50th, front row, seated, from left: Morgia Ritchey Belcher, Marilyn Butler Nelson, Mary Macan Rollins, La Nita Jordan Wacker,
Janet Grimes, Pamela Davis Bunning, Gretchen Kasselman Allard-Morris, Dorothy Bosshart Docken, and Lorna McCormick. Second row, seated, from left: Bill Hansen;
Larry Nelson ‘63, J.D.’80; Rod Anderson; Ruth Wagner Sharrard; David Sharrard; Carol DeChant Reeve; Bonnie Austin Wood; Kathy Kinley Maybee; Lee Ann Blessing
Johnson; Inez Chock Ritchey; and Bob Arnold ’63, M.S.’68. Back row, from left: Allen Petrich; Jan Reeder; Pat Haugland Jones; Karen Purchase Robinson; Nancy
Chessman Loyd; Linda Eyerly Beecher; Bill Hubbard; Linda Bowman Warren; Alex. Bennett; Kay Lentz Chabot ’63, ’66; Jon Silvernail ’63, M.Ed.’76, P’90, P’93; Shary
Shores Gadd; Peter Norman; June Helland Bough; Bill Johnson; Kenneth Gentili; Richard Stolarski; Robert Gibbs; and Fred Wilde.
is going for.” So I went in the service. I got out four
years later, and then I came back to school, which was
a shock to me. I walked into a class in Jones Hall and
I think the oldest kid in the class was 17—they were
all freshmen—and I was 22. They had just finished 12
years of school. I was pretty scared for a year because
I wanted to be sure that I made it academically and
didn’t just fall back into a pattern of horsing around,
which was a good part of what I did in the service. I
finished three years, and then I went to Washington
for law school.
You worked your way through school?
Yes. I worked for a furniture store on Tacoma
Avenue that was owned by my dad. I drove a delivery
truck. I also worked at Pat’s Tavern, which is Magoo’s
now. In my last year and a half I worked at Weyer-
haeuser. I started at 1 p.m. and got off at 5. And then
for one semester I was a janitor at a bank. They were
right down the street from Weyerhaeuser. So I’d get
out of Weyerhaeuser, and one of my friends here at
school was a bartender across the street. I would go
over there and get a drink, then I would go down
and jan-it at the bank until 9, and then go home and
study. But I didn’t have a lot of time on campus. My
fraternity had a house here, but I lived in an apart-
ment. So I got some student life, but I was mainly
working most of the time. Now, you mentioned that
you lived in a dorm?
My first year was in Todd/Phibbs. Then
I moved off campus and just lived in houses with
friends. And I played basketball, too. So that kind of
kept me on campus a few extra hours a day and it was
always easy to eat at the SUB.
What prompted you to come to school here?
I have a dad who is very thorough, and so
we had to go visit campuses. Which, now, being older,
would be my advice to everyone—you have to go
to visit colleges if you can; it’s one of the best ways
to get a feel. But of course, being 16 and 17, I had a
boyfriend and I didn’t want to leave on the weekends
to go visit campuses. And I was being recruited by a
few different schools for basketball. But my dad insisted.
Looking back, I am very thankful that my father is that
way. So we came and we went to admission, and I had
a meeting with the basketball coach. On the way home
I told my mom and dad, I said, “I love it.” Like I want to
go there.
You did?
I knew right away. I loved the coach. I had a
really good meeting with admission. The campus, the
people—everyone was super awesome. And I had been
to a few other places, so I had something to compare to.
That was quick.
It was
quick. But my dad said we’ll make
it happen if you know for sure that’s the place. And I
said, “yep.”
I applaud your dad.
And here I am. … By the time you left did you
have a lot of close friends that you graduated with?
I was on a committee to call people from my
class and tell them about our reunion. Names started
popping off the list.
That you recognized?
That I recognized. The girl that typed all my pa-
pers, for example. I talked to her last night and then we
exchanged a couple of emails. In the summer she lives
over on Hood Canal and we have got a cabin just below
that on Case Inlet, so we are not far from there. So it’s
been fun—I haven’t talked to her since I left the campus.
For me, I am excited to see people maybe I
haven’t met, or haven’t seen in a long time. But another
cool thing is getting to meet you, or like you said, all
these other people start popping up or you start talking
to someone, like I met David Watson ’92 five years ago
when I started on the alumni council, and now he is like
an old friend.