Page 54 - arches_summer_2012

Basic HTML Version

In memoriam
Mary Ellen Painter Robert-
son ’25
passed away on Feb.
22 at the age of 105. She was
born in the small mill town of
Dryad, Wash. After earning
her teaching degree at Puget
Sound, Mary Ellen was as-
signed to a two-room school-
house in Yelm, Wash., and
taught fifth, sixth, and seventh
grades. She went on to study
at the University of Washing-
ton. She and some girlfriends
took a trip to California dur-
ing which she met her future
husband, Leonard, at a dance.
Six years later they were mar-
ried. Mary Ellen and Leonard
raised two children. When the
children reached school age,
Mary Ellen returned to teach-
ing. She earned a bachelor’s
degree at San Francisco State
University and took graduate
classes at various colleges in
the Bay Area. She retired after
45 years in the classroom.
Mary Ellen loved to travel and
took her first trip abroad in
1934 to Shanghai to visit her
brother, who was in the Navy.
She and Leonard traveled the
globe into their 80s. Mary El-
len was an avid photographer
and documented all of their
trips. When not traveling she
loved to garden, read, and
hike. Mary Ellen and Leonard
walked five miles each day and
valued healthy eating and re-
cycling before such behaviors
were in popular practice. Leon-
ard preceded her in death.
Survivors are her sons Bruce
and Rich, five grandchildren,
and seven great-grandchildren.
Frank Seabeck ’42
died on
Feb. 12, four months prior to
his 95th birthday. He was born
in Rockville, Neb. Frank came
to Washington state in 1935.
He served in the Marine Corps
during World War II in the
Pacific Theater and was on Iwo
Jima from Feb. 19 to March
16, 1945. Frank also served
in Korea and spent time in Ja-
pan, Cuba, and Chile. He was
awarded a Bronze Star and
a Purple Heart. When Frank
retired from military service he
worked for the University of
Washington in its community
was a longtime member of Dis-
abled American Veterans and
Veterans of Foreign Wars. He
completed his undergraduate
education at the University of
Akron in business administra-
tion. George had a 50-year ca-
reer in the insurance industry,
serving in various capacities
including past president of the
Insurance Federation of Ohio
and vice president and secre-
tary of The Griffith Insurance
Education Foundation. He also
served as a board member of
the Alzheimer’s Association of
central Ohio, the Alzheimer’s
Home Care board, and The Sal-
vation Army. His wife and one
son preceded George in death.
Survivors are two sons and six
The Rev.
L. Marshall Camp-
bell ’48
died on March 9
following a car accident while
walking in his neighborhood.
He was 85 years old. Marshall
was born in Darrington, Wash.,
and graduated from Lynden
High School in 1944. He gradu-
ated from Puget Sound with
honors and went on to earn his
Bachelor of Divinity degree at
Garrett-Evangelical Theological
Seminary in 1951, and his Mas-
ter of Sacred Theology degree
at Yale Divinity School in 1952.
He also took graduate courses
at The University of Edinburgh
in 1979 and at The Hebrew
University of Jerusalem in 1983.
Marshall met Joan Newman
while attending Garrett. The
two were married on June 12,
1951, in the seminary chapel,
the day after graduation and
Marshall’s ordination as an
elder in the Methodist Church.
He served churches through-
out Washington state and in
Idaho as a United Methodist
pastor. Marshall also served the
Pacific Northwest Conference
as youth director, registrar for
the board of ministerial train-
ing, and conference missionary
secretary, and as a certified
laboratory school instructor. He
retired in 1989. Marshall and
Joan enjoyed reading, learning,
and traveling. Marshall kept a
list of the books he read from
1958 until his passing—2,240
total. He enjoyed more than 40
Road Scholar trips and several
others on his own, although
train travel remained his fa-
vorite mode of transportation.
Throughout his career and in
retirement, Marshall volun-
teered with the South Kitsap
Helpline Food Bank, the Litera-
cy Council of Kitsap, Multifaith
Works (AIDS ministries), and
the Puget Sound Blood Center.
He also served on committees
at Wesley Homes, where he
was a resident. Marshall’s wife
and brother Art Campbell ‘50
preceded him in death. Sur-
vivors are his children David
Campbell ’75, John Coleman
Campbell ’77, Donna Camp-
bell Stock ’80, and Kathleen
Campbell ’81; nine grandchil-
dren including Micah Coleman
Campbell ’11; three great-
grandchildren; brother Eugene
Campbell ’53; sister-in-law Peg-
gy Trimble Campbell ’51; and
numerous nieces and nephews,
including Marcia Campbell ’75,
Barbara Campbell Elder ’79,
Larry Campbell ’81, and Larcy
Campbell Amorelle ’84.
Kenneth Langlow ’49
passed away peacefully at
home on March 21 at the age
of 86. He was a longtime Ta-
coma resident and graduated
from Stadium High School.
Ken served in the Army during
World War II as a member of
the 345th Infantry Regiment
Cannon Company, 87th Divi-
sion. He fought in the Euro-
pean Theater including in the
Battle of the Bulge. Ken was a
proud member of the Kappa
Sigma fraternity at Puget
Sound. He married Shirley
Robinson in 1949, and the
couple raised four children to-
gether. Ken earned his certified
public accountant degree and
worked for several firms before
starting his own company. He
retired from Langlow Tolles &
Company P.S. and moved to
his family’s vacation home on
Hood Canal until 2010, when
he returned to Tacoma to live
at the Laurel House at Narrows
Glen. Ken’s wife preceded him
in death. Survivors are his four
children; four grandchildren;
three siblings, including Rob-
ert Langlow ’49 and Stanley
Langlow ’50; and many nieces
and nephews, including Scott
Langlow ’75.
Thomas Porro ’49
died at 86
years old on March 9. He was
born in Tacoma and graduated
from Stadium High School
in an accelerated program.
Tom then joined the Navy
and served as a medic in the
Pacific Theater during World
War II. After graduating from
CPS he married Shirley Niesen
and together they raised four
children. Tom worked with his
father at the Porro Biological
Laboratory in Tacoma and took
over as head of the lab when
his father passed away. In 1964
he sold the lab and went to
work for the Washington state
Department of Corrections as
a parole and probation officer,
retiring in 1992. One son pre-
ceded Tom in death. Survivors
are his second wife of 20 years,
three children, and four grand-
David Frederick ’50
born on May 14, 1927, and
passed away on April 26. He
was a resident of Lacey, Wash.
Dave leaves his wife of 63
years, Jan; three children; and
six grandchildren.
William Jonez ’50
away on May 6 at 87 years
old. He was born in Tacoma
and graduated from Stadium
High School, where he was a
standout swimmer. Bill joined
the Army Air Force and served
in the Pacific Theater during
World War II. After the war he
returned to Tacoma and at-
tended Puget Sound. There he
met Margaret Allen ’48. The
two married in 1949 and made
their home in Tacoma. Bill
worked as a medical technolo-
gist and supervised the medi-
cal laboratory at Western Clinic
for 25 years. He retired from
the medical field and started
a Christian book distribution
company. Bill also was suc-
cessful as a real estate investor
and property manager. He and
Margaret retired to their fam-
ily’s vacation home at Vaughn
Bay on the Key Peninsula. Bill
enjoyed riding his bike, fish-
ing, and hiking in the Cascade
Mountains. He also liked to
build and fly remote-controlled
airplanes. Bill was an avid ham
radio operator and was elected
to the board of the Tacoma
development department.
Frank was involved with the
development of the Bavarian-
themed town of Leavenworth,
Wash. He later retired after
many years working in the
undergraduate library at the
UW. Frank’s many hobbies
included pheasant hunting,
fishing, rock-hounding, hiking,
gardening, and traveling. Six
children, one grandson, and
his longtime companion Jane
Aslanian survive Frank.
Edward Miller ’43
died on
Jan. 27 from heart failure at
the age of 90.
Jeanne McDougall Daniel-
son ’45
passed away at age
89. She was born in Benge,
Wash., and was the youngest
of five sisters. Jeanne gradu-
ated from Lewis and Clark
High School and earned a
scholarship to attend CPS.
She was the first in her fam-
ily to graduate from college.
At Puget Sound Jeanne was
the editor of
sports editor for
The Trail
student newspaper, and was
a member of Kappa Phi. She
also met her future husband,
Alvin Danielson ’48, as a CPS
student. The two were married
in 1946. They built a cabin at
Lower Twin Lake, Idaho, and
spent summers swimming and
water skiing nearly every day.
Jeanne earned her master’s in
education at Whitworth Col-
lege and began a teaching
career. She taught at several
elementary schools in the Spo-
kane school district before re-
tiring. Her husband preceded
her in death. Two children, six
grandchildren, and two great-
grandchildren survive Jeanne.
George Fisher ’47
away on March 7. He was 86
years old. George was a native
of Akron, Ohio, and attended
CPS as a member of the Army
Specialized Training Program.
He served as a combat infan-
tryman with the 55th Armored
Infantry Battalion of the 11th
Armored Division during World
War II, and earned the Bronze
Star Medal and Combat
Infantryman’s Badge as a par-
ticipant in three European The-
aters of Operations, including
the Battle of the Bulge. George