degrees in economics at the
University of Washington. He
received a Ph.D. in economics
at The University of Chicago.
After the family moved to
Santa Monica, Calif., Norm
became an assistant professor
of economics at the University
of California, Los Angeles. The
Rand Corporation also em-
ployed him. In 1962 the family
moved to northern Virginia,
where Norm worked for private
and government agencies until
his retirement to Ojai, Calif., in
His wife of 67 years pre-
ceded him in death in 2010.
Survivors are two children and
two grandsons.
Theodore Johnson ’45
died on Feb. 3 after a brief ill-
ness. He was 90 years old. Ted
was a Stadium High School
graduate and went on from
Puget Sound to earn a degree
in dentistry at the University of
Oregon. He practiced pedo-
dontics, dealing with the care
and treatment of children’s
teeth. Ted was an avid golfer,
along with his brother, the late
Robert Johnson ’50. Ted served
as the president of Fircrest Golf
Club in 1971. He is remem-
bered for his devotion to fam-
ily, his love for his profession,
his generosity, and his sense of
humor. Two brothers preceded
him in death. Survivors include
his wife of 66 years, Jere; three
children including Ted Johnson
Jr. ’69; seven grandchildren;
seven great-grandchildren;
and other family members and
many friends.
Phyllis Newman Murray ’46
died on Jan. 28 at the age of
She was born in Auburn,
Wash., and graduated from
high school in Enumclaw,
Wash. Phyllis attended Central
Washington University before
transferring to CPS. In 1947
she married Ed Murray, and the
two raised four sons on Phyllis’
family farm. She enjoyed gar-
dening, cooking, baking pies
for Tacoma’s Rescue Mission,
walks in the woods, and spend-
ing time with her grandchil-
dren. Phyllis also provided sup-
port for various missionaries,
including her granddaughter’s
mission in the Ukraine. She was
a member of Hillside Commu-
nity Church in Enumclaw and
was a deacon at Wabash Pres-
byterian Church in Auburn.
Four sons, six grandchildren,
and one great-grandchild sur-
vive Phyllis.
Carolyn Cummings Mont-
gomery ’47
passed away last
fall. She was 87. Carolyn was
born and raised in Tacoma and
graduated from Stadium High
School. She attended Whitman
College prior to completing
her degree at Puget Sound.
Carolyn then became a flight
attendant for United Airlines.
Her dreams of traveling the
world were cut short when
she became engaged to Navy
pilot Warren Montgomery ’44.
The two made their home in
Bellevue, Wash., and raised
two daughters. Carolyn was an
excellent bridge player, an avid
reader, and had many hobbies.
She enjoyed travel, golf, and
line dancing, and was famous
for her delicious pies. Carolyn
was a 50-year member and
active volunteer for the First
Presbyterian Church of Bel-
levue. Her husband of 48 years
preceded her in death. Her
two daughters, their husbands,
and three grandchildren sur-
vive Carolyn.
A. Christine Brown ’50
on Nov. 7, 2012, at the age of
She was born in Port An-
geles, Wash. At Puget Sound
Christine was a member of
the Adelphian Concert Choir.
She was past president of the
Port Angeles Symphony board.
Christine enjoyed time with
her family, gardening, and vol-
unteering in her community.
For several years she and hus-
band Henry Brown ’51 ran a
Port Angeles ski school. Chris-
tine also worked as a teacher’s
aide in the Port Angeles School
District for 25 years. Her hus-
band and one son preceded
Christine in death. Survivors
include five children, five
grandchildren, and a sister.
Thomas Gass ’50
away on Feb. 8, after a two-
month battle with lung cancer.
He was 85. Tom graduated
from Tacoma’s Stadium High
School and then joined the
Navy—just two weeks prior
to the end of World War II.
He attended Puget Sound on
the GI Bill while working at his
family’s dry cleaning business.
Tom married Donna Rogerson
in 1950. The two raised three
children. Tom took a job with
the R.J. Reynolds Tobacco
Company and relocated their
family to Medford, Ore., in
He retired after a 30-
year career with the company.
In retirement Tom and Donna
traveled throughout the U.S.
and enjoyed hosting parties
for family and friends. Tom
was an avid golfer and enjoyed
sports, particularly baseball. He
is remembered as a kind and
loving father, grandfather, and
friend. His wife preceded him
in death in 2004. Three chil-
dren, nine grandchildren, two
great-grandchildren, and one
sister survive Tom.
Lyle Lindelien ’50
at the age of 86 on Jan. 10.
He was born in Fargo, N.D.,
and moved with his family to
Tacoma at an early age. Lyle
graduated from Stadium High
School. He briefly served in the
Army in 1951 and was honor-
ably discharged. Lyle earned a
master’s degree in education
at the University of Washing-
ton. He married Beryl Erickson
in 1953. She preceded Lyle
in death in 1989. He mar-
ried Edna Morey in 1990.
Lyle worked for Pan American
World Airways before start-
ing a career in education. In
he moved to Port Ange-
les, Wash., where he taught
speech and was a counselor at
the junior high school. In 1973
he became the vocational edu-
cation director at Port Angeles
High School, a job he held
until his retirement in 1986.
Lyle was a member of the NEA,
PAEA, and the Clallam County
School Retirees’ Association.
He enjoyed travel, animals,
and working with children. His
second wife, three daughters,
two grandchildren, four step-
children, and numerous step-
grandchildren survive him.
Joe “Coach” Mahoski ’50
passed away on July 16, 2012,
at the age of 84. Born and
raised in Tacoma, he graduat-
ed from Stadium High School
and was a standout athlete in
track and football. Joe played
football for Washington State
University and then for the
Army during World War II
while stationed in Japan. A
knee injury ended his playing
days. After earning his degree
at Puget Sound, Joe married
Ruth Hitchcott. They started
their life together in Elma,
Wash., where Joe got his first
teaching and coaching job. Joe
later accepted the head foot-
ball coach position at Seattle’s
Lincoln High School, the state’s
largest school at the time. He
stayed at Lincoln for 25 years,
until the school closed in
Joe also worked at Long-
acres racetrack for 40 years
and ran his own Christmas tree
lot for 16 years. He had talents
in art, music, and woodwork-
ing and is remembered for his
bigger-than-life personality. His
wife preceded him in death
in 1998. Three children, one
granddaughter, and many
nieces, nephews, and friends
survive Joe.
Lucius Butler Jr. ’52
away on Jan. 31. He was 84.
Lucius had been a resident of
Greensboro, N.C.
Grace Fullager Richey ’52
died peacefully Dec. 5,
She was 82. Grace was
born in Tacoma and attended
Stadium High School. She met
her husband, William Richey
while attending Puget
Sound. She was a member of
Pi Beta Phi sorority, SPURS,
and the Adelphian Concert
Choir. Grace and Bill moved
to Portland, Ore., in 1955 and
then to Tigard, Ore., in 1961;
there, she taught school and
directed choirs for many years.
Her husband, five children and
their spouses including John
Richey ’83, 11 grandchildren,
eight great-grandchildren, two
sisters, and numerous nieces
and nephews survive Grace.
Terry Tate ’52
died on Nov.
23, 2012,
a little more than a
month before his 82nd birth-
day. He was born and raised in
Tacoma and graduated from
Stadium High School. Terry’s
career in the lumber industry
started at Weyerhaeuser. He
then worked for Potlatch Lum-
ber Company and was owner
of Tate Forest Products, based
in Spokane, Wash. Terry was
an avid fly fisherman and was
active in his church. His wife,
Mercedes Cox Tate ’53; two
children; and two grandchil-
dren survive him.
Kenneth Scheele ’53
away on Dec. 25, 2012. He was
At Puget Sound Ken was
a member of Phi Delta Theta
fraternity. He worked as a naval
architect at Puget Sound Naval
Shipyard, conducting strength,
endurance, and pressure test-
ing. He moved to the under-
water testing group and spent
years focused on projects
involved with national security.
In retirement Ken was a bus
driver for the Peninsula School
District in Gig Harbor, Wash.
He was active in the Gig Harbor
Eagles and served as conductor,
trustee, and secretary. Survivors
are his wife, four children, one
stepson, and two grandchil-
Frank Samuelson ’55
away on Nov. 25, 2012, at the
age of 86. He grew up in Gig
Harbor, Wash. As a young per-
son, Frank was a cook on a fish-
ing boat in Alaska. He served in
the Third Marine Division in the
Pacific Theater during World
War II. In 1949 Frank married
Eunice Moberg. They had five
children together. After Frank
completed his degree in eco-
nomics, he went to work in the
purchasing division of Crown
Zellerbach Corporation in Port
Townsend, Wash.; Lancaster,
Ohio; and finally in Antioch,
Calif. Over the years Frank was
involved with the Presbyterian
Church, the Boy Scouts, the
Antioch Chamber of Com-
merce, Kiwanis International,
and Toastmasters International.
Frank’s wife preceded him in
death. Five children, six grand-
children, and numerous nieces,
nephews, and other family
members and friends survive
Reuben Carlson Jr. ’57
on Dec. 20, 2012. He was 78.
Reuben was born and raised
in Tacoma. He was a Stadium
High School graduate and was
a state champion swimmer. In
his youth Reuben worked on
tugboats and enjoyed hunt-