in memoriam
to be active in his church, Lions
Clubs, and other charitable
activities. He enjoyed classical
music and playing the violin in
his youth. His wife of 66 years
preceded Howard in death.
Four sons and their families
survive him.
Anita Sherman Raymond ’42
died at home in Olym-
pia, Wash., on July 29. She was
Anita was born and raised
in Tacoma and graduated from
Lincoln High School. She and
Philip Raymond ’42 were mar-
ried on Aug. 25, 1943. Anita
was a speech, drama, and Eng-
lish teacher at Port Townsend
High School for many years.
She was a longtime member
of the First United Presbyterian
Church of Port Townsend. In
the late 1980s, she and Philip
moved to Olympia. One daugh-
ter preceded Anita in death.
Her husband of nearly 70 years,
son Michael Raymond ’77, four
grandchildren, and seven great-
grandchildren survive Anita.
Marguerite Zach Syverson
passed away at home in
Shoreline, Wash., on Jan. 24, at
the age of 96. Survivors include
her husband of 68 years, three
children, two grandchildren, and
one great-grandchild.
Aldo Benedetti ’44
died on
Aug. 11 at the age of 91. He
was born in Tacoma to Italian
immigrant parents in 1922. Aldo
graduated from Lincoln High
School in 1940 and attended
the College of Puget Sound
as a pre-med student before
being accepted to the U.S.
Naval Academy, from which he
graduated in 1945 in engineer-
ing. Aldo served in World War II
and was recalled to active duty
in the Korean War. He retired
after 29 years in the Navy at
the rank of captain. Aldo then
served as a Navy Reserve of-
ficer and teacher in Tacoma for
years. He also had a 32-year
career with Tacoma Public Utili-
ties as water superintendent,
acting director, and director of
the utilities department. After
retirement in 1979, Aldo was
appointed director of the Wash-
ington Utilities and Transporta-
tion Commission by then-Gov.
Dixie Lee Ray. He later had a
career as a consultant for the
Northwest utilities industry,
retiring for the third time in
at the age of 81. Aldo
served on numerous boards,
including as president of Ki-
wanis International, as director
of the American Public Power
Association, and on the Tacoma
Chamber of Commerce. He
enjoyed golf, gardening, travel,
and caring for his beach homes
in Rosedale and on the Hood
Canal. He also enjoyed winter-
ing in Palm Springs, Calif., and
golfing with friends and family.
His wife of 40 years, Norma
Gagliardi Benedetti ’44, pre-
ceded Aldo in death. His wife
of 26 years, Maxine; his three
sons; seven grandchildren; one
great-grandchild; Maxine’s three
children; and many other family
members and friends survive
Millard Ruoff ’44
died at home
on Nov. 21, 2012. He was
Millard was a member of
the Army Specialized Training
Program on campus and later
graduated from Rensselaer
Polytechnic Institute in Troy, N.Y.
After serving in World War II as
a member of the 11th Armored
Division he was employed as a
metallurgist at General Electric
in Schenectady before retiring.
Millard was an active member
of several Masonic lodges,
spanning 60 years of service.
He was an avid outdoorsman
and member of Stony Clove
Rod & Gun Club in Lanes-
ville, N.Y. Millard also was a
volunteer for Boy Scouts and
Little League. He was active
in the Methodist Church in the
communities where he lived,
and was an avid historian and
considered an expert on the
history of the Catskill region.
His wife and one son preceded
him in death. Two sons, 11
grandchildren, seven great-
grandchildren, and other family
members survive Millard.
Murray Schuhalter ’44
passed peacefully on March
15, 2012,
at the age of 86. He
was a member of the ASTP on
campus and was a decorated
World War II veteran of the 11th
Armored Division. Murray loved
playing tennis and golf, singing
and dancing, and spending time
with family and friends. His
family remembers him for his
honor, decency, and integrity.
His wife of 62 years, three
daughters and their husbands,
five grandchildren, and many
friends survive Murray.
Gerard Schwagerl ’44
at home in Brainerd, Minn.,
on July 14. He was 89. Gerard
graduated from high school in
Truman, Minn., then joined the
Army Specialized Training Pro-
gram and served in World War
II in the Army’s 11th Armored
Division. He received a Purple
Heart for injuries sustained in
combat. After his service in the
Army, Gerard enlisted in the
U.S. Air Force for a second tour
of duty. He married Barbara
Reed in 1948. The two celebrat-
ed their 65th wedding anniver-
sary on July 6. Gerard earned
his bachelor’s degree at St.
Cloud State University and his
M.Ed. at Michigan State Univer-
sity. He taught ninth grade sci-
ence for 30 years in the Brain-
erd school district, followed by
years in retirement. Gerard
was a longtime member of St.
Andrew’s Catholic Church. His
wife, two children, five grand-
children, one great-grandson,
and three siblings survive him.
Winifred JuneWestman Sitts
passed away on Feb. 4
at the age of 89. She was a
Stadium High School graduate,
came to CPS, and went on
to graduate fromWashington
State University. June was a
member of Sigma Kappa so-
rority and married her college
sweetheart, Harold Sitts. While
Hal was in the service during
World War II she worked in
the shipyards and for Brotman
Brothers’ clothing store. June
volunteered her time with the
YMCA, served as president of
an orthopedic guild, and began
the first cooperative preschools
in Washington state. She was
president and club champion
of the women’s golf league
at Oakbrook Golf & Country
Club. In retirement June and
Hal moved to Sun City, Ariz.,
where they were members of
Faith Presbyterian Church and
Palmbrook Country Club. June
was an accomplished pianist,
tennis player, skier, and seam-
stress, and she enjoyed cooking
for and entertaining friends and
family. She was active in her
grandchildren’s activities and
enjoyed gardening, camping,
fishing, clamming, and boat-
ing. June’s husband and a son
preceded her in death. Survi-
vors are two children, seven
grandchildren, and four great-
Stephen Stoddard ’44
on May 24 at the age of 88.
He was born in Everett, Wash.,
although raised in Gales Ferry,
Conn., by his father and grand-
mother after his mother passed
away. Steve joined the Army
to further his education but
was called to active duty with
the 11th Armored Division.
Steve was a platoon sergeant
and fought in the Battle of the
Bulge. He was wounded and re-
ceived the Purple Heart, Bronze
Star, and Combat Infantryman
Badge. Steve was later trans-
ferred to the 4th Armored Divi-
sion and was a staff sergeant
for a guard unit in Linz, Austria.
After the war he returned to
the States and enrolled at the
University of Illinois, where he
earned a bachelor’s degree in
ceramic engineering in 1950.
He met and married Joann Bert
while in college. Steve worked
for three years for the Coors
Porcelain Co. in Golden, Colo.,
before applying to the Los Ala-
mos National Laboratory in New
Mexico for a two-year position.
The position at LANL turned
into a 29-year career in material
sciences. Steve received seven
U.S. and international patents
and authored 35 technical pa-
pers. He served as president
of the American Ceramics So-
ciety and was honored by the
group with a Distinguished Life
Member award in 1987. After
retirement in 1980, Steve ran
for and won a state senate seat.
He served New Mexico District
for three consecutive terms
and sponsored 42 bills, retiring
in 1992. He later was appointed
by President Clinton to be one
of the first trustees of the Valles
Caldera National Preserve. He
was involved with many civic
organizations, including Kiwanis
International, the Elks Lodge,
the American Legion, the Boy
Scouts and Girl Scouts, the
Los Alamos Public Schools
Foundation, and The Nature
Conservancy, among others.
Steve’s first wife preceded
him in death. Survivors include
his second wife, Barbara; two
daughters; three stepchildren;
seven grandchildren; and four
Truman “Mac”Talley ’44
at home on March 15 due to
complications from Parkinson’s
disease. He was 88. Mac was
Martha Nelson Goettling ’34
passed away peacefully on
June 15 at the age of 101. Mar-
tha’s parents were Norwegian
immigrants. She was born in
Tacoma in 1912, but from age
on, Martha’s grandmother
in Portland, Ore., raised her.
At Puget Sound she was af-
filiated with the Delta Delta
Delta sorority until illness and
the Depression prevented her
from completing school. Mar-
tha began work as a page at
the South Tacoma Library and
later served as secretary to the
director of the Tacoma Public
Library. In the early 1940s Mar-
tha joined The Mountaineers
Tacoma Branch. She met her
husband Robert Goettling ’39
on a hike. They married in 1944
and raised two daughters.
Martha was a stay-at-home
mother and served as a Blue
Bird leader and was a member
of a local garden club. After her
daughters were raised she re-
turned to work as a bookkeeper
for the Pierce County Library
System. In retirement Martha
and Bob traveled throughout
Europe. Martha celebrated
her 90th birthday with a three-
month cruise around the Pa-
cific. Her husband of 50 years
preceded Martha in death. She
is survived by her daughters,
two grandsons, nieces, neph-
ews, and cousins.
Howard Brownlee ’40
on Oct. 28, 2012. He was 94.
Howard graduated from Sta-
dium High School in Tacoma
in 1936. He attended CPS and
later completed his bachelor’s
degree in mechanical engi-
neering at the University of
Washington. He married Doris
Aaland in 1942 and served as
a commissioned officer in the
Army for two years in Germany
during World War II. Howard
remained in the Army Reserve
and achieved the rank of major,
commanding Company L, 415th
Infantry Regiment, in Newport,
Wash. He worked for Kaiser
Aluminum and Chemical Corp.
in Spokane, Wash., from 1947
to 1956, then helped establish
a new Kaiser facility in Ravens-
wood, W.Va. He served on the
Ravenswood city council for
years and held many Lions
Clubs positions. Howard retired
in 1979 and returned to the Ta-
coma area, where he continued