When a fire alarm sounds, always exit the building immediately.
Immediately notify Security Services (3311) or Tacoma Fire Department (911) and do not re-enter the building unless authorized by the Emergency Response Team.
If there is a safe exit:
- Pull the fire alarm and/or verbally alert others to exit the building.
- Close doors and windows in your immediate area as you exit.
- Leave the building via the closest and safest exit. Do not use elevators.
- Meet with others in the designated Emergency Gathering Area and wait for directions from the Emergency Response Team.
If there is no safe exit:
- Place a towel or other material under your door to prevent smoke from entering your room.
- If a door handle is hot, do not open the door.
- Flash room lights, hang something from a window, and/or call for help from a window.