IRS Data Retrieval Instructions
Schools must verify FAFSA data with information provided directly from the IRS. If you or your parents have filed a 2012 U.S. Income Tax Return, you must retrieve your IRS data using one of the following two options.
Your federal tax return must be filed electronically at least two weeks prior to using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to allow the IRS time to process your return. Paper filing will require six to eight weeks.
Option 1: IRS Data Retrieval Tool
The easiest way to verify your FAFSA data with accurate tax information is by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. In a few simple steps, you may be able to view your tax information and transfer it directly into your FAFSA.
- Log into www.FAFSA.gov using your FAFSA PIN.
- Click Make FAFSA Corrections located in the middle of the page.
- In the Financial Information section, enter your PIN and click Link to IRS.
- Make sure to Submit your FAFSA after retrieval process in complete.
- If the IRS Data Retrieval Tool is not available to you proceed to Option 2.
Option 2: Tax Return Transcript
If you or your parents chose not to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, are not eligible to use the tool, or you make changes after the retrieval process is completed, you must provide a Tax Return Transcript. Tax filers can request a free transcript of their tax return from the IRS.
- Visit www.irs.gov.
- Click Order a Return or Account Transcript located under Tools.
- Click Order a Transcript under Step 3.
- Enter your SSN, Date of Birth, Street Address, and Zip Code.
- Select Return Transcript (we cannot accept an Account Transcript).
- You can expect to receive your Tax Return Transcript within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives your request.
- Call 1.800.908.9946.
- Select Option 2 to request Tax Return Transcript and then enter the year (we cannot accept an Account Transcript).