Instructions for Form 8233
Simplified Instructions for Completing Form 8233 For Short Term International Visitors
Do not use these instructions if you:
- are an employee of the University of Puget Sound. If you are in doubt as to your status, please contact me for assistance.
- pass the Substantial Presence Test, you may not file the 8233 to claim treaty exemption. You must file Form W-9 and W-9 Attachment instead. See IRS Publication 519 for the Test, or contact me with your questions.
- will only be seeking reimbursement for expenses (original receipts are required)
Form must be completed legibly and in ink.
Insert applicable tax year in the space provided.
- Print your name
- Enter your Social Security or ITIN Number. You must have this number, or attach a copy of your W-7 form as proof of application.
- Optional - Foreign Taxpayer Number
- Permanent address: Enter your home address in your country of residence.
- Your local U.S. address
- U.S. Visa Type: Enter your current visa type (e.g., J-1, B-1, B-2, etc, or "none" if you do not have, or are not required to have a visa.)
- If you are not a citizen of Canada or Mexico:
- Enter country that issued your passport.
- Passport Number: Enter passport number.
- Date of Entry: Generally, enter the date of arrival shown on your current I-94. However, if you are claiming a tax treaty benefit determined by reference to more than one date of arrival, enter the earliest.
- Current Status:
- Enter your current nonimmigrant status as shown on your I-94.
- Enter date your status expires from your I-94 card.
- Check box and attach letter copy of invitation
- Compensation for independent services:
- Enter description of personal services (e.g. lecture, seminar, etc).
- Enter the approximate amount to expect to be paid during the year.
- Treaty name and article number:
- Enter treaty name (e.g. U.S.-Germany) and article number, from Pub. 901 (our office has provided this for you – see initial information letter from Allyson Lindsley)
- Enter the amount of Line 11b that is covered by the treaty (usually the entire amount)
- Country of Permanent Residence: Enter the country of your residence. Must match 12a.
13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 - Leave blank
Part III: Sign and date this form.