Interested in joining Psi Chi?
Psi Chi is an honor society for psychology majors only and has specific requirements for membership. Visit Psi Chi for more information on membership. Here at Puget Sound, Psi Chi and Psychology Club meet and work together on events.
How can you get involved?
Sign up today! Provide your contact information and we will let you know when and where the next meeting or event will be happening. You can send an e-mail to Stephen Baum (Psi Chi) or Aiyana Wain Hirschberg (Psi Chi) to be put on the mailing list.
Psi Chi Events
- First General Meeting, Tuesday, 9/23/14, 7pm, WEY 218
- PSI Chi Homework Hours, Every Sunday Night, 7-9pm, WEY 319 All psychology students are invited to come to work individually or in groups. Psi Chi members will be present to answer questions about statistics, APA style, experimental design, and anything else that may come up
- What Can I Do With My Psych Degree?? Wednesday, 10/8/14, 7pm, WEY 402 Come learn about potential career paths, how to get into graduate school, and what other options are open to you with a degree in psychology! Carolyn Weisz, Erin Colbert White, and David Moore with be talking about their career paths and offering advice to students. We are also trying to get some alumni to talk. The event will conclude with a question and answer session.
- Psychology Research Symposium, Tuesday, October 14, 7pm, WEY 217 Come for a night of student research presentations, conversation, and snacks! See what fellow psych students have been up to and learn what research facilitated by UPS is all about. if you are interested in presenting your research, contact Danny Kassenbrock.
- Treehouse, Oct. 31st, 5-7:30 On October 31st we will be going to Treehouse (http://www.multicare.org/tree-house/). Treehouse is a place where families can stay to be close to family members in the hospital. The purpose of the event is to provide some Halloween activities for the children and cook and enjoy a meal with the families. Psi Chi activity for members - please contact us to be involved in this great opportunity to practice your people skills and help provide a positive atmosphere for families who are going through a lot of stressful life events.
- High School Senior Application Workshop November 1st, Tacoma Public Library, 1102 Tacoma Avenue S. Two session: 12:30-2:30pm and 3:30-5:30pm.Participation worth 50 Psi Chi points. We will be helping high school seniors build their personal statements for their college applications. Contact Aiyana to sign-up. Follow-up: Read Tacoma News Tribune's article about this event. Psi Chi members, David Adler and Nicky Reed, were mentioned in this article.
Some of us are staying in contact with the student we worked with and providing feedback on essays and offering support through the college application process.
- Volunteer Opportunity: Saturday Dec 6th, High school Senior Writing Workshop There will be two shifts: 10:00-12:30 a.m. and 12:30-3pm. We will be helping with the next college application writing workshop for Tacoma High School Seniors. We will talk to students about their personal statements and other college essays. A lot of students will be interested in your experience with college and about the college application process in general. You do not need to be an expert at personal statements to help the students. Last time, many high school seniors believed they did not have a story to tell and we listened to their experiences and helped them realize that everyone has a story to tell. There will also be a brief training at the start of each shift to provide you with information about what makes a strong personal statement. Everyone who helped at the last one thought it was an incredible experience. David Adler and Nicky Reed were even quoted in the newspaper! Sign up for the writing workshop here.
- Upcoming Events to put on your calendar:
Tuesday, December 2nd, 5:00-6:00pm: Psi Chi Holiday Gathering - come relax and de-stress before finals with Psi Chi! We will have hot cocoa, holiday treats, and fun activities.
Thursday, December 4th, 11:00am-12:00pm: Topic Toss Up - discuss current events relating to psychology and neuroscience with students and faculty - snacks are always provided!
(Points will be given for attending all of these events)
Remember - every Sunday night, Psi Chi has Homework Hours from 7:00-9:00pm in WEY319. Homework Hours are a great time to work either individually or in groups, earn 10 points towards honor chords, and enjoy our fantastic rotating selection of snacks. See you there
Summer Opportunity: Spanish for Counselors Jill Nealey-Moore let us know about about a program called "Spanish for Counselors" that some of you might be interested in.
Here is the info:
Buenos dias desde Argentina.
Just a short note to let students know that it is now time to "raise your hand" to receive more information about the "Spanish for Counselors" summer program in Buenos Aires, Argentina. The six-week session is suitable for students of psychology, anthropology, human services, social sciences, and related disciplines. We designed the program specifically for those anticipating careers that will include occasional, or even frequent, one-on-one counseling with Spanish-speaking immigrants.
||T-shirts Psi Chi is getting t-shirts! We've attached a picture with the design. They are available in sizes S-XL, and will cost $5. If you are interested in purchasing one, please let us know as soon as possible, and be sure to include what size you want. Let us know if you are interested by Saturday November 22nd.