General Requirements for the Major or Minor
General university degree requirements stipulate that 1) at least four units of the major or three units of the minor be taken in residence at Puget Sound; 2) students earn a GPA of 2.0 in courses taken for the major or the minor; and 3) all courses taken for a major or minor must be taken for graded credit. Any exceptions to these stipulations are indicated in the major and minor degree requirements listed below.
Requirements for the Major
Before declaring a physics major, students should schedule an appointment with the department chairperson. This will usually be held during a student's fourth semester.
Bachelor of Science
- PHYS 121, 122, 221, 222, 305, 351, 352, and 411, and one elective at the 200 level or higher and one elective at the 300 level or higher from 209, 231, 299, 310, 322, 412, 494
- MATH 180, 181, 280, 290, and 301.
Bachelor of Arts (Engineering, Dual Degree)
- PHYS 121, 122, 221, 305, 351, and two additional upper-division (209 or higher) courses;
- MATH 180, 181, 280, 290, and 301, or equivalent;
- CHEM 110, 120 or 115,230; and
- CSCI 161, or equivalent.
Note: Degree is awarded upon completion of Baccalaureate in Engineering.
Requirements for the Minor
PHYS 121/122 (or 111/112); three additional units at least one of which must be at the 300 level or higher. (Ordinarily PHYS 105, 107, and 109 will not satisfy these requirements.)
Note: The Physics Department does not restrict the applicability of courses to major or minor requirements based on the age of the course.