Safety Information & Emergency Procedures
For more information on on-campus crises please visit the university's Emergency Preparedness website.
- Familiarize yourself with building exits, hallways, and stairways.
- If you become aware of fire, pull the fire alarm and verbally alert others in the building. This facilitates quick response in the event of a fire.
- Leave the building via the closest and safest exit. Close your room door and windows when you leave. Gather with other building occupants a safe distance away from buildings according to the Emergency Gathering Area Plan. Do not use elevators.
- If you observe a fire, call x3311 or 911 and request Tacoma Fire Department response. Provide your name and complete information regarding the fire.
- If the fire alarm sounds, always exit the building even if you think it may be false. Do not re-enter the building until Tacoma Firefighters or University Security staff provide safety Clarence.
For more information on Natural Disasters visit the university's Emergency Preparedness website.
- Seek refuge under a desk or table, or other substantial furniture or fixtures. Stay away from windows and items that could topple over or fall from overhead.
- Do not exit buildings until the shaking ceases. After shaking ceases, proceed quickly to the nearest safe exit.
- Once outside, move to an open area away from buildings (50 feet or more if possible). Be prepared for after shocks.
- Gather with other occupants of the building according to the Emergency Gathering Area Plan and wait for instructions from emergency response staff. The Fieldhouse and Tennis Annex are primary locations for temporary shelter, if necessary, after an earthquake.
- Follow instructions from Security or other emergency response staff. Do not re-enter buildings until authorized to do so.
Personal Safety / Property Protection
For more information on personal safety please visit the university's Questions and Answers on Emergency Preparedness website.
Exercise for more reasonable precautions to protect yourself and your property. Contact Security for detailed Crime Prevention, Personal Property Insurance and Personal Safety Information. Among the most important things you can do:
- Walk and park your vehicle in lighted areas at night or in the early morning.
- Do not walk alone, especially at night. Use Security escort services. (call x3311).
- Always lock vehicle doors even when you are in your vehicle.
- Do not leave valuables unattended in unlocked areas. Lock your room when it will be unoccupied.
- Call Security Services immediately to report incidents or suspicious persons circumstances.