General Requirements for the Minor
General university degree requirements stipulate that 1) three units of the minor be taken in residence at Puget Sound; 2) students earn a GPA of 2.0 in courses taken for the minor; and 3) all courses taken for a minor must be taken for graded credit. Any exceptions to these stipulations are indicated in the minor degree requirements listed below.
Requirements for the Minor
- Completion of a minimum of five units, to include: LAS 100, Latin American Studies (1 unit); One course from each of the following three categories (see lists below): Literature, Social Sciences, and History (3 units); One elective course from any of the categories below (1 unit).
- At least two of the five courses taken for the minor must be at the 300 or 400 level.
- An internship in or related to Latin America or Latin Americans in the United States can count as the elective if it meets university requirements and is approved by the director of Latin American Studies.
- Students minoring in Latin American Studies must complete two semesters of Spanish at the 101-102 level, or one semester at the 200 level, or the equivalent, with a passing grade.
- Upon approval by the Latin American Studies Program, students may complete up to two (2) of the required units of study for the minor when enrolled in a study abroad program in Latin America or in a Spanish- or Portuguese-speaking country.
Students may count only two courses taken to fulfill requirements in their major or another minor towards the LAS minor.
- ART 302, The Art of Mexico and Mesoamerica
- LAS 380, Around Macondo in Eighty Days
- SPAN 210. Latina/o America: A Critical Introduction
- SPAN 212, Latin American Culture and Civilization
- SPAN 300, Literature, Theory, and Practice (when Latin American content)
- SPAN 301, Literature of the Americas and Critical Inquiry
- SPAN 303, Hispanic Short Story
- SPAN 304, Hispanic Poetry
- SPAN 306, Latin American Film
- SPAN 308, Modern Latin American and Latino Theatre
- SPAN 310, Special Topics in Hispanic Culture and/or Literary Studies (when Latin American content)
- SPAN 402, Seminar in Colonial and/or Nineteenth-Century Latin America
- SPAN 405, Seminar in Twentieth and/or Twenty-First Century Latin America
- BUS 472, Business in Latin America
- CSOC 315, Identity Politics in Latin America
- CSOC 350, Border Crossings: Transnational Migration and Diaspora Studies (when Latin American content)
- PG 380, Latin American Politics: Authoritarianism and Democracy
- PG 381, U.S.-Latin American Relations
- HIST 280, Colonial Latin America
- HIST 281, Modern Latin America
- HIST 380, Modern Mexico
- HIST 381, Film and History: Latin America
- HIST 382, Comparative Revolutions in Twentieth-Century Latin America
- HIST 400D, Research Seminar in Historical Method (Latin American)
- LAS 387, Art and Revolution in Latin America